• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

I always ask around to see who wants seeds that are leftover from the previous year. I store them in a vacuum bag in the freezer.

One of my nieces has a 4 x4 SFG that she's not been real successful with. Last night I set aside some seeds for her that I know will give her success and put together a plan including soil amendments, planting locations and instruction, feeding, etc. Hopefully she'll jump in and have fun.

Another niece is coming over tonight to get some seeds. She is more experienced and maintains a larger garden. She'll just take what she wants.

Anything unused will go back into a vacuum bag and the freezer, should be good for at least one more year.
I also vacuum bag unused seeds but do not freeze them.

M

Mr_Yan

I always ask around to see who wants seeds that are leftover from the previous year. I store them in a vacuum bag in the freezer.

I've been keeping my seed packs in small ziplock bags in a Plano field box (like a plastic ammo can). The size is about perfect to act as a file box for seed packs plus it is water tight. I've left it outside in the garden a few times when it got rained on and the seeds are fine.

W

Waite

I also vacuum bag unused seeds but do not freeze them.

I've been keeping my seed packs in small ziplock bags in a Plano field box (like a plastic ammo can). The size is about perfect to act as a file box for seed packs plus it is water tight. I've left it outside in the garden a few times when it got rained on and the seeds are fine.

The goal for me is long term. I hate wasting $. I've read that seeds stored in a freezer (not a refrigerator, too humid) can last a very long time. Of course the trick is cool and dry, so while the freezer may be overkill, its not like they take up a lot of space in the freezer. I think I spent about $90 on seed last year buying on line. Burpee's gives you a lot of bang for the buck when you buy on the 'net, but it's way more than I can use in a single season. They sent me 5,000 turnip seeds.

The other day I picked up some Chives, Muskmelon and Watermelon seeds by 'American Seed', which is one of Ferry-Morse's brands. I paid a whopping $0.90 for all three packets. The watermelon was $0.50 and the other two were $0.20 each. I am interested to see how well they germinate, that's pretty cheap for a seed pack. And still, there's more in them than I need.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Received another 0.68" overnight, bringing our total for this storm to 2.15".

Mixed up another load of dirt & re-potted 2 ferns & 6 Angel Trumpets'. Also potted up 2 hanging baskets of Marigolds for the entry of the guest house. Then spread the remaining dirt on low spots in the yard.

K

ksk

Received another 0.68" overnight, bringing our total for this storm to 2.15".

Mixed up another load of dirt & re-potted 2 ferns & 6 Angel Trumpets'. Also potted up 2 hanging baskets of Marigolds for the entry of the guest house. Then spread the remaining dirt on low spots in the yard.
Ranch we ended up with 3.1.I plan on planting squash,japs,cucumbers,bell peppers and tomatoes tomorrow [Good Friday].

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Plenty of rain last night. The young man has a holiday from school tomorrow, and I informed him that he's going stone picking with me tomorrow. He's thrilled, hahahaha! Nosey neighbor has been constantly peeping my landscape activities. Ordering more bamboo next week.

W

Waite

Started raining here after midnight, been on and off all day. About an inch + at home added to what we got Tuesday. Tigers opening day rained out.

Oh yeah, you're welcome for Verlander.

Got 16 tomatoes started today. Another 6 tomorrow and the rest of this round on Saturday.

W

Waite

Wrapped up the early starts. Decided to come home early today and get it done. Almost out of space. These need to germinate so I can get them off the heating mats and into different trays.

M

Mr_Yan

Mixed up some soil block potting mix and made 5 trays of blocks
Started my first seeds of the season
  • 70 onions - sweet spanish yellow utah jumbo onion
  • 60 peas - Oregon spring snow pea I think - saved from last year
  • 4 brussles sprouts - long island improved, Franklin F1, Dametri F1
  • 4 broccoli - Johnny's green magic
  • 12 kale - 6 dino, 6 red russian
Still working on my garden layout and planting schedule, I am at least 3 weeks behind for the year.

Harvested another salad (for 2 adults and 3 kids) worth of lettuce from my hydroponic system.

Placed and anchored my new pantry shelving unit.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Made 2 stone hauls today with the young man. He had a blast climbing the piles of mulch/gravel/etc that was there.

Started a new flowerbed up by the entry gate. This one is quite a bit bigger than the previous. I need some suggestions from you TX folks on some low maintenance plants (drought /freeze) to put up there. Ordered tires for my bigger trailer so that I can haul the boulders that I have my eye on.

Working up plans for a stone BBQ smoker as I've spied a bunch of firebrick, lol!

DSC_0924a.jpg DSC_0926a.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Planted all the remaining Lirope. Most of it went into the backyard flowerbed, but I also planted the ones designated for the front flowerbeds temporarily in the garden. Now my back is tired...

Watered the backyard flowerbed, garden & asparagus bed.

Made stuffed Japs & smoked a thick sirloin steak. Mrs. Ranch made potato salad.

W

Waite

Grow station up and running. Besides the sweet potatoes, the light is on so I can see what's going on. 73 separate pots plus the sweet potatoes. The green stuff at the left are onions, no idea how many, I broadcast seed and break them apart when they get transplanted. There are probably 40-50 each of Walla Walla and a neutral day red called Countrywide. There's a center divider in the tin.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered all the trees, porch pots, hanging baskets, garden, asparagus bed & the remaining plants in the greenhouse.

Made a buttermilk pie.

Started the 'begining-of-the-month' chores.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Sick kid today. He and I just sat down and watched a Mr. Rodgers episode on Amazon. Season 6 episode 1 - that show first aired about 10 years before I was born... The kid loved it.

W

Waite

Can't beat heat. All of the trays are on seed mats. Every tray is sprouting, some more than others. Longest period was 3.5 days, shortest was 2.5. I suspect most will be up by tomorrow except for some of the more stubborn peppers.