Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Smoked the brisket over post oak/hickory coals at 225 degrees. Mrs. Ranch made green beans with potatoes as the side. Also did some garlic bread, which is a 'must have' for meals like this, LOL!!! Sorry but there was no picture as I was tired, hungry & just wanted to get cleaned up, but it was good!!!

Planted the remaining soybeans & tomatoes, then did the Italian basil between the tomato plants. Then watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Me & Dieter are tired...

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Woke up at 1 am to a kid saying they just threw up - there goes the day. Wife and kids were supposed to drive 7 hours today to her parents for the first half of spring break.

Took a kid to farm and fleet (mostly just to get them out of the house) and got a few packs of seeds I still need. These will run double duty and be put in Easter baskets.

Headache laid me out this afternoon. Not sure I slept but spent much of the afternoon in bed.

W

Waite

Watered the peas and last tree. Built the trellis frame for my new tomato bed and topped it off with composted manure. Found a couple of parsley plants and an oregano from last year growing in the soil pile. Planted and watered them. Wasn't planning to grow either this year, bit what the heck.

Went to the Yankee Air Force museum for a behind the scenes tour. Went through the B-17 and walked around the Willow Run Bomber Plant.

Topped the day off with some New York strips and sauteed mushrooms, asparagus, and potato salad.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Pretty busy day. Started out with a Cub Scout service event where we cleaned all the flowerbeds and put in mulch at the church that lets us use their facility for all the meetings/functions. The boys did well, I was happy with their showing. Some random farmer came by with his tractor w/ front end loader and helped out. He was declared badass of the day. Scored all the bagged leaves/etc from said event to use as mulch in garden. Spread all that out and then installed the drip irrigation. Planted a spaghetti squash the wife brought home. Prepared about 100' of row for sweet corn, that seed should be here on Monday. Watered Onions. Finished moving dirt for the chicken run and got it bladed off.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Wife and kids hit the road at 6 am to head over to my in-laws for spring break. SE Michigan, typical spring break destination.

Built a new pantry shelving unit. All datoed 3/4" ply painted white. The shelves are only 11.5" deep so nothing will get lost in the back.

About to do grocery shopping. Bachelor for almost a week and I am getting two(ish) carts full of groceries - makes sense.

W

Waite

Got my new grow station set up. Built the light frame, everything's ready for next week's seed starts. Sanitized the net pots salvaged from last year. I have 79 pots to start next week and another 33 the third week of April.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Started laying out the post holes for the chicken run and ran a test hole to see how hard the ground was. Drilled it quickly, the clay is still wet below 1 foot. Watered the bamboo, it's looking really nice and is growing some already.

DSC_0905a.jpg DSC_0906a.jpg luke hole.jpg
coop2_v1_2018-Mar-25_06-54-58PM-000_CustomizedView2808466585_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
@wolffman : I've gotta feeling somewhere down the road..Ya'll will have more chicken eggs than you can handle. I just wish that ya'll were a little closer. Been buying from these two little kids here in Cypress for the longest. Those eggs are delicious !!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Installed the pepper stakes & planted both varieties. Then watered the garden, asparagus bed & the remaining flats in the greenhouse.

The spaghetti squash, peas & Lima beans are up!!!

Last edited:
K

ksk

I have been fighting this cough for almost two weeks now so finally went to a doctor[my first in,forever].He gave me a shot for allergies.Hope this works quickly as I have not slept the last 5 nights. Meanwhile,planted tomatillos and watered the garden.Forecast for Wednesday is 80% rain.My last measurable was 1 inch Feb.25.

W

Waite

Fighting a cold myself. Also looking forward to rain over the next few days. Everything is brown and and gray now, once we get the rain and a bit of sun, it will all start to turn green.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the Marigolds between the plants in the garden. Then re-weeded the melon patch in preparation for mulching & planting. Burned the 'trash'.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Headed to Brenham [Lowes] and got as for as Industry.The wife has been looking for a small wind mill with the UT emblem.Loaded it up and headed to Chapel Hill for BBQ and Kolaches. Back to Lowes next week.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Raining here this morning & it's suppose to continue all day so no outside work...

Made the dough for hotdog buns. Also made 4 mini loaves of pepperoni bread.

Since it's raining (1.47" thus far), I went to town to do some chores (taxes, fertilizer, bank, etc).

Last edited:
W

Waite

I always ask around to see who wants seeds that are leftover from the previous year. I store them in a vacuum bag in the freezer.

One of my nieces has a 4 x4 SFG that she's not been real successful with. Last night I set aside some seeds for her that I know will give her success and put together a plan including soil amendments, planting locations and instruction, feeding, etc. Hopefully she'll jump in and have fun.

Another niece is coming over tonight to get some seeds. She is more experienced and maintains a larger garden. She'll just take what she wants.

Anything unused will go back into a vacuum bag and the freezer, should be good for at least one more year.