• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Wife says she's gotta have chickens. So, I guess I'm building a chicken coop soon. Cleared out a spot under some trees where it's all going to happen. Should be a cool summertime spot for them. We have lots of hawks around here, so I'm going to have to build a wire roof over the run. I think she thinks this is going to be a one day job, and presto we have farm eggs.

DSC_0896a.jpg

W

Waite

Got a small area in one of my raised beds prepped for peas, will plant tomorrow. I don't dedicate a lot of space to them, just enough so my wife and grandkids can pick and eat off the plant. I'll be pulling them before the cucumber need the space to spread. Planting super sugar snap.

M

Mr_Yan

(1) never heard of Steven Raichlen - going to guess it is right up there with my knowledge of pop culture

(2) we bought a Taylor instant read thermometer

(3) my 2nd grader just brought home a test where I don't even know how to answer the question. I thought it would take longer than second grade but I have no freaking clue what an "adjective superlative" is. Can't we do something easy like algebra.

(4) my kindergartner hand his music program last night. Once he made a run for it from the risers then when his teacher placed him back up there he spent much of the time with his back to the audience. That's my kid.

M

Mr_Yan

State primary election and several local things on the ballot.

A small city near here which I drive through when going to work has a road improvement sales tax on the ballot. While driving I have seen several signs for and against the tax initiative. I just checked the election results and the news site is showing all votes tallied and it failed. 10 votes against, 8 votes for. I swear I have seen more signs out than votes cast.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Wife says she's gotta have chickens. So, I guess I'm building a chicken coop soon. Cleared out a spot under some trees where it's all going to happen. Should be a cool summertime spot for them. We have lots of hawks around here, so I'm going to have to build a wire roof over the run. I think she thinks this is going to be a one day job, and presto we have farm eggs.

View attachment 2975

Super nice project Wolffman ! Can't wait to see your chicken coop ! Raccoons got to my chickens as well! I need to get more chickens ! they are fun to watch.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
What are these flies on my potato leaves? Not sure I've seen them before. They are really small.

Don't sweat it (excuse the pun, LOL!!!), those are 'Sweat bees'... AKA corn fly, helicopter fly, flower fly & hover flies. They are actually beneficial as the large feeds on aphids & pollinate flowers.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Took Dieter to the vet this morning for his yearly vaccinations & checkup. He weighed in at 91 lbs.

Made pizza dough & sauce for tonight's supper.

Planted 1/2 the soybeans & 3/4 of the tomatoes. Then watered the garden & asparagus bed.

The first 2 hummingbirds have arrived!!!

Last edited:
K

ksk

Brother helped putting up deer proof fence around extension to the garden.Still fighting a cold.Days are not bad but only getting half nights sleep is slowing me down.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the trees & the flowerbeds.

Filled/hung 2 more hummingbird feeders.

Planted 90' of green beans. Then watered the entire garden.

Last edited:
K

ksk

Painted the maroon shutters on the house.The wife is Burnt Orange,and I have been telling her for almost three years I would paint them.It has not been at the top of my list of ''to do's ''.I really like my ''battleship gray'' shutters.lol

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Wife works for a landscape company that does all these high end homes in Houston. Owner has decided to move the shop to a different location due to flooding. They have tons and tons of stone leftover from projects over the years, and he says come get it all. I went out there yesterday, it's the best dang stone junkyard I've ever seen lol! Probably an entire acre of every type you can imagine. This is my first load of many more to come.

DSC_0899a.jpg

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Wife works for a landscape company that does all these high end homes in Houston. Owner has decided to move the shop to a different location due to flooding. They have tons and tons of stone leftover from projects over the years, and he says come get it all. I went out there yesterday, it's the best dang stone junkyard I've ever seen lol! Probably an entire acre of every type you can imagine. This is my first load of many more to come.

View attachment 2977

Awesome score right there!!! They sell those buggers by the pounds ..NOT cheap !

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Awesome score right there!!! They sell those buggers by the pounds ..NOT cheap !

I know! It's a total jackpot. I bet there's over $100k just sitting out there, and I plan on putting the Cummins diesel to work over the next couple months. I don't know, it all sounds good now but I'm creating a massive honeydo list at the same time.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I don't know, it all sounds good now but I'm creating a massive honeydo list at the same time.

At least you know that going in, LOL!!! Mrs. Ranch talked me into doing a flagstone patio at the last house... that took a lot of time & sweat, even with a diamond saw.

Back_3.jpg

Back_1.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Made the seasoned breading (cornmeal/flour) for tonight's fish supper, accompanied by french fries & hush puppies (I'll fire up the fryer in a few hours). Mrs. Ranch made brownies for dessert.

Fried_Catfish.jpg

Seasoned up a brisket that I'll smoke tomorrow while I work in the garden.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Same here Ranch [El Campo]. Last Friday Fish Fry in Weimar this evening.

What are they charging per plate nowadays??? We stopped going years ago due to the inconsistency of the folks doing the frying (I hate raw fish)...

K

ksk

Plates are $10 a plate to go.I believe $12 to go in all you can eat.We do drive through.This is the 3rd time we have gone and went several times the last three years.We have never had raw fish.I actually like their's better than at Freilsburg as Weimar cut the pieces smaller, it seems a little more like fried at home.I'm gearing up to plant beans/peas and corn tomorrow.

K

ksk

Did the weekly shopping.

Made the seasoned breading (cornmeal/flour) for tonight's fish supper (I'll fire up the fryer in a few hours). Mrs. Ranch made brownies for dessert.

Seasoned up a brisket that I'll smoke tomorrow while I work in the garden.
Ranch I also use the flour/cornmeal mixture but I add some HEB Fajita seasoning to it.Adds a little kick to it.