• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

Finished building planter boxes.That gives me 33 now.On a side note,winter must be over in our part of Texas as I've been watching Sandhill cranes fly North for the last two days. lol

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
It's 80 degrees & drizzling here right now, although it is suppose to rain harder tonight & tomorrow... looks like a good day to do some cooking (better to grill in a light rain than a heavy one, LOL!!!).

Made a pot of pinto beans & I'll make our ranch rice closer to supper time

Made bread.

Seasoned up some beef fajita meat for tonight/tomorrow's suppers.

Moved the spider plants out of the greenhouse, watered them & put them on the back porch.

Harvested more asparagus & prepped them for freezing.

Mrs. Ranch made pecan brownies for dessert!!!

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Spent the weekend working with the boy scouts. Pretty good time, it was a nice camp right outside of Navasota, TX. Although, there is one little scout that's in some serious need of discipline. It took everything I had not to snatch him up, go behind the nearest yaupon bush, and put his behavior in direct perspective with a leather belt.

DSC_0806ab.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

45 F and sun today - steady moderate wind too.

Pruned the peach tree - mostly while standing in the tree.
Pruned the grape vine.
Pruned the cherry tree.
Pruned the privet hedge - may have been too aggressive with the hedge.

Currently have my 2.5 year old daughter snoring away on lap. She is one tired kid.

W

Waite

Finally decided to access and clean a very difficult to reach light fixture. Of the five bulbs only two weren't burned out. So out came the ladder. I removed the bulbs and globes, dusted, washed it down, reinstalled the freshly washed globes and screwed in 5 new 40w equivalent LEDs.

Nope. Still only two working. So I disassembled the fixture and started checking the wiring. About that time the wife decided that fixture had been there long enough anyway. A quick trip to the big box and we have a new stairwell fixture.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
So I tending the family garden this weekend... took the family down to Gatlinburg, TN for the weekend and we just got back home a couple hours ago.

Had a great time up in the mountains and down in the shops eating, shopping, and playing games. It was an awesome time and I think the kids really enjoyed themselves.

This was our view for the weekend:
gatlinburg.jpg

W

Waite

Good God man! Tell us you stayed out of Pigeon Forge!

Did you get up to Clingman's Dome, or whatever they call it?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Good God man! Tell us you stayed out of Pigeon Forge!

Did you get up to Clingman's Dome, or whatever they call it?
We took the kids to ride go-carts at Pigeon Forge and ate lunch there, but most of our time was in Gatlinburg hanging out.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Since we didn't get the rain expected last night, I watered the garden & all the trees. Also watered the seed flats in the greenhouse.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
K

ksk

Since we didn't get the rain expected last night, I watered the garden & all the trees. Also watered the seed flats in the greenhouse.
Same here Ranch.Lots of thunder and a small shower.Looks like the thunderstorms may be to our south this afternoon.

M

Mr_Yan

yesterday and Saturday were 45+ F and sunny. Now we're over an inch of snow into the 2" to 3" that is being called for. Glad I got the pruning done but the sticks are piled up along the side of the house needing to be addressed. I really wish I had some way to burn these for heat.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We went to town to vote & then stopped by to have a talk with the county commissioner about our road & the cause of the damage...

Put out rolls of hay for the cattle.

Planted radishes & cilantro.

Last edited:
W

Waite

yesterday and Saturday were 45+ F and sunny. Now we're over an inch of snow into the 2" to 3" that is being called for. Glad I got the pruning done but the sticks are piled up along the side of the house needing to be addressed. I really wish I had some way to burn these for heat.

We get what you get a day later. Our forecast was for clouds and 2-3" of snow over the next 3 days. We got a dusting this a.m., now the sun is out and it's 39. After we get through these next few days we're supposed to get back to sun and 40's. Our current 'normal' high is low 40's.

K

ksk

We went to town to vote & then stopped by to have a talk with the county commissioner about our road & the cause of the damage...

Put out rolls of hay for the cattle.

Planted radishes & cilantro.
Ranch how are your potatoes looking? You planted before me and mine are 2-3 inches.

K

ksk

Worked flower beds [ugh].Not my most favorite thing to do.Watered fruit trees as the rain missed me.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Ranch how are your potatoes looking? You planted before me and mine are 2-3 inches.

They're doing well, most are 4-6" tall & 5-7" across... Chitting them before planting makes a big difference.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Readied the row for the peas.

Burned the trash.

Watered the seed flats.

Cut leftover 3/4" rebar to make 2 T-handles for the new irrigation valves (they are considerable tighter). I'll weld them up tomorrow.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Harvested more asparagus & the last head of cabbage (for coleslaw to go with our fish & fries for tonight's supper).

Watered the garden, asparagus bed & the seed flats in the greenhouse.

Last edited:
W

Waite

Onions are sprouting nicely. Sweet potatoes are putting roots out everywhere, should start seeing slips soon.