• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

K

ksk

The weather today is terrible here... it's noontime & only 34 degrees with a north wind of 15 MPH.

Regarding the sauerkraut topic, we just shred a number of heads, throw it all in a cooler (with some salt, a little sugar & some caraway seed). We then weigh it down with a clean board & a large clean rock before adding about a gallon of water. This was the way I learned from my grandpa.
Ditto on the weather Ranch.I was going to continue building planter boxes but will wait until tomorrow.

W

Waite

I want to get into fermenting and 'kraut making but time and space and fear of killing everyone has stopped me. I know the fear is a bit irrational as fermenting is about the safest processing out there. I have watched a few vids on it but the best vid I couldn't get past the woman using a mandolin to shred the cabbage without the guard - I cut the top of my thumb off doing that once.

Now one of my kids is running a fever of 101 F. God I hope this isn't the start of the flu going thru here.

Hope your kid is ok, glad I can send the grandkids back to mom and dad!

Too funny on the fear. You cannot believe how cautious I was when I ate my first taste of homemade kraut. I ate some and waited, then some more, then finally a forkful. Once I didn't die my family was on board.

Disappointed, but on board...

K

ksk

Chilly and damp did not stop me from prepping planter boxes.Hopefully I will begin more boxes tomorrow.

W

Waite

You guys and your weather woes. This may be miserable to you, but for us in February this is balmy!

W

Waite

Yup the next few days will be warm and become a wet muddy mess.

Glass half empty. I figure we're one step closer to warmer weather.

Wet + mud = spring.

Remember, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an optimist says it's half full, and an engineer says the glass is too big!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You guys and your weather woes.

LOL!!! Your comment reminded me of an old joke about 'weather woes' from a yankee that kept a diary after relocating to Texas:

Dear Diary: June 1st:
Just moved to Texas! Now this is a state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an Air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ole sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and ****s. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ole Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $500,000 house and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise a** cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when sat on the seats in the car, I thought my a** was on fire. My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and a** . . . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried a**, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus are dead. Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for you today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Texas. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?? Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.​

W

Waite

I had to edit this for language, I hope I got them all!

A SOUTHERNER MOVES UP NORTH:

JAN 10 5:00 PM. It's starting to snow. The first snow of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rums and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful!

Jan 11 We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in years, and loved it. I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later a city snowplow came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Jan 12 It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature has dropped to about 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards, the snowplow came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now brownish-gray.

Jan 13 Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my butt in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Jan 14 Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4x4 in order to get to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway, and did considerable amounts of damage to the right quarter panel. Had another 8 inches of the white stuff last night. Both vehicles covered in salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That freakin' snowplow came by twice today.

Jan 15 2 degrees outside. More freakin' snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candies and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put the flames out but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands and lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. 4x4 slid on the ice on the way to the emergency-room and was totaled.

Jan 16 &$&%&% mother freakin' white $($^$ keeps coming down. Have to put all the clothes on we own just to get to the freakin' mailbox. If I ever catch that son-of-a-pup that drives the snowplow I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart. I think he hides around the corner and waits to plow shut our driveway again. Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Jan 17 Six $(*&^# more freakin' inches of freakin' snow and freakin' sleet, freakin' ice and #($(% knows what other kind of white #)$)$(* fell last night. I wounded the freakin' snowplow butthole with an ice axe, but he got away. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snowblind. I can't move my toes. Haven't seen the sun in weeks. More snow predicted. Wind Chill -22 freakin' degrees. I'm moving back south!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

ksk

We had lots of ''yankees''moving to the school district I worked in the mid 1980's.I would tell them to survive Texas,one has to live with three things: 1. Weather 2.Cock roaches 2. Mosquitoes .And remember""Every Day Is A Bad Hair Day'' !

W

Waite

When I lived in Dallas I recall mostly that the heat was very dry. 105 was hot. You'd walk out the door and he need to catch your breath. The first car I had was an old Rambler, no air, no power windows. Everything was hot.

But 95 with 90% humidity is just as bad. It just drips off of you, it's stifling. Our summers can be ridiculously humid because you're never more than 100 miles from a Great Lake or for that matter a few miles from a water source, be it a river, lake, pond etc.

When I was a kid we'd spend half the school year in southern FL, in a town called Pompano Beach. Being winter it'd get up into the 80's mostly, but the humidity was the worst. A bowl of chips left out overnight was a bowl of wet noodles in the morning!

One thing I learned living in different areas of the country, everyone says the same thing about their own state: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute."!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Dallas is nothing... Closer to the GOM it gets hotter & always has high humidity (even when it's cold - which makes it feel even colder).

We have a 2+ week period in August that we refer to as 'hotter-than-hell-week' where the temps routinely are between 105 & 115 degrees in the shade.

The hottest I've ever seen it on our covered back porch was 117. Fans don't help...

W

Waite

I have to admit I have no idea what the GOM is.

Those cold days with high humidity are uncomfortable. It's the kind of cold that gets to your bones. I expect we'll be experiencing some with that forecast I posted.

Hottest I recall here in MI was 103. We had a stretch of about 3 days where it was 101-103. I guess it got to 112 once back in the day.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The fog has been so thick the last 2 morning that we have 0.08" in the rain gauge...

Divided the seed potatoes, applied the powdered sulfur to them & set them up high (out of Dieter's reach) to scab over. Weather permitting, I'll plant them tomorrow.

M

Mr_Yan

Glass half empty. I figure we're one step closer to warmer weather.

Wet + mud = spring.

Remember, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an optimist says it's half full, and an engineer says the glass is too big!

No the engineer says there's 3 dB of margin in the design - but that margin never lasts.

We designed a new PCB for about 25% spare IO. We're just bringing this to the second field trial and have run out of available IO points.

W

Waite

I dont know a single engineer who says that. All of the engineers I know just keep saying "it's a field issue".

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk