• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

M

Mr_Yan

I didn't know blackbird hunting was a thing though. Unless you just mean paper-slaying.

M

Mr_Yan

I'm board right now so just surfing around.

Checked wunderground.com where they have sun rise and sun set times listed so I compared Chicago IL to Houston TX. Right now Houston has over an hour longer daylight than Chicago. I didn't think the daylight disparity would be that great over just a few states - or something that can be driven by one person in two days.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
It's not a thing at all. I'm getting Luke trained up on rifles and he is starting with a pellet gun. Blackbirds are about as skittish as deer, so this will be good training for him.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Used up the remaining buttermilk up today... made another pie & 4 more batches of biscuits (that were frozen uncooked for later use).

Made black-eyed peas (flavored with hog jowl), collard greens & plain cornbread for our traditional New Years Eve supper tonight (it's a Southern thing).

Did the monthly software updates & backups of all the computers.

Last edited:
K

ksk

47 and drizzling rain.Need to bring more firewood to the house.Inlaws coming over tomorrow for lunch.Menu includes pork roast,cabbage, black eye peas and corn bread.Key lime pie for dessert.

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
I didn't know blackbird hunting was a thing though. Unless you just mean paper-slaying.

Mr. Yan, Our girls (3) Get's their first rifle right at 6 years old. They usually hit the range with my wife right at 9-10. FYI: If you have girls..they make em in pink . The pink rifle below is their first rifle.

Attachments

• 26235211_1662138843843623_753765903_n.jpg
    26235211_1662138843843623_753765903_n.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 5

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I picked grapefruits before the freeze. We have seven grapefruits this year. Seven. Normally, our 2 trees would have put out about 800-900, but the freeze last year did something to their blooming in the spring. I'm curious as to how the upcoming freeze will affect them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Getting cold here & the wind was already wicked when I plugged in the well house lamp. At least Dieter isn't dilly-dallying when he has to go out, LOL!!!

Maybe I can get him 'toilet trained' & teach him how to flush without wasting toilet paper...

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
Getting cold here & the wind was already wicked when I plugged in the well house lamp. At least Dieter isn't dilly-dallying when he has to go out, LOL!!!

Maybe I can get him 'toilet trained' & teach him how to flush without wasting toilet paper...

LOL!!! Dieter !!! Big Boy !! You giving Ranch and Mrs. Ranch a hard time!! ?? LOL!

M

Mr_Yan

I'm hoping the cold weather (-10 F standing temp, winds about 10 mph) keeps the idiots with the fireworks inside tonight. Typically I am awake with the gun shy dog for about a half hour around midnight.

M

Mr_Yan

Didn't notice any fireworks over night.

Gotta love it when the forecast starts with the word "Dangerous".

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Not that many here either, thankfully the cold weather minimized it. The city people that come out here to the woods don't have much common sense generally... They have caused many of the fires over the years. Got down to 27 degrees (with a wind chill of 18 due to the winds), but it is suppose to be colder the next 3 nights.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Harvested the seed pods from the Pride of Barbados this morning and then covered them with some left over insulation I had laying around. My grapefruit trees are probably going to lose all their leaves in the next few days. That's OK, the trees are on the property line next to my annoying neighbor. He needs something to do other than spying on his neighbors anyway.

K

ksk

Not that many here either, thankfully the cold weather minimized it. The city people that come out here to the woods don't have much common sense generally... They have caused many of the fires over the years. Got down to 27 degrees (with a wind chill of 18 due to the winds), but it is suppose to be colder the next 3 nights.
I hear you Ranch about the city people[we call them weekenders] starting fires.Some will leave on Sunday afternoon and leave ambers in a camp fire.Thank goodness we have a great Volunteer Fire Department out here [Oakridge].I heard a few firecrackers go off but not as many as last year.

M

Mr_Yan

-18 F at about 8 a.m. today - an hour after sun rise. We're up to about -6 F now.

Christmas tree taken down, decorations boxed up and put away.

Kids and dog going a bit nuts.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Mulched in the onions with free mulch that was laying under the oak trees. Trying to keep the weeds down this year, and it'll probably help them a little with this cold on the way. I'll put down another layer in about 6 weeks.

DSC_0655a.jpg

M

Mr_Yan

@wolffman What spacing do you use for onion in a raised bed? I have two 4' x 12' raised beds that I will either plant entirely with onion or split 50 / 50 with onion and carrot.