• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Update- after some research I find out that the dirt work done by my neighbor is illegal in TX (and most states). He can't build improvements and force water to my property. Demand letter goes out today. He's still getting the bamboo though.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the cabbage, broccoli & cauliflower since the wind has died down. All that's left to plant is the radishes & the cilantro, hopefully tomorrow.

Watered the garden.

Fertilized the flowerbeds & all the trees for winter.

Met with the man from 'Window World' this afternoon about replacing every window in the house. It will be nice to get rid of the current ones as the E-film is terrible & obscures our views. As they are all custom windows, they will be installed in 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

I taught my kids new vocab words "fungible" and "inbred scumbag" today.

Last week someone went around and gathered about 2 dozen recycle bins - 30 gallon can type - one of which was ours. Then they filled the cans with old roofing shingles and dumped the full cans in about 3 drive ways. The trash hauler just went around and picked up a special truck worth of these shingles and we just walked down and got our can.

Apparently the city serialized the cans and recorded the SN to the address it was delivered to. What a waste of time (welcome The People's Republic of Illinois). Recycle cans and trash cans are fungible.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Did the weekly shopping.

Picked about 2.5 gallons of jalapenos off the last plant. Made stuffed japs & put the rest of them over at the guest house's refrigerator. I saved seeds from this particular plant as it had an extremely robust growth habit & the fruit was HOT from the first to the last harvest!!!

Planted the last of the fall garden (radishes & cilantro)

Watered the entire garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Picked up our prescriptions.

Made a loaf of buttermilk bread.

Watered the garden.

Ordered 20 additional seed flats & trays. I'm getting ready to start 300 'Royal Purple' Lirope that will eventually be planted around the trees/flowerbeds in the yard.

Royal_Purple_Lirope.jpg

Last edited:
K

ksk

The wife decided she wanted me to fix up the ''old deer blind'' whereas we could sit and watch the deer during the season.We hunted many years ago together and had great times sitting in different deer stands watching all types of wildlife.I have not shot a deer in almost 10 years but still enjoy watching deer and other ''critters'' that come around the feeders.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the grass.

Watered the garden & asparagus bed.

Kill gophers in the garden (dang them) & in the yard with sodium nitrate gas bombs. I hate when they go in my garden!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Check for gopher activity. The one in the garden is still alive, so I'll go after it tomorrow.

Watered the garden as best I could in this wind...

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Further to the discussion regarding my azzhole neighbor. They have been the nosiest people imaginable since they moved in 8 years ago. He once walked up to my back porch out of the blue and asked my yearly salary.

That being said, the following is my current Wifi name....

"John/Jackie Russell SpyFi. You buy, we spy".

I've got that signal jacked up on an expensive repeater, lol!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
A cool front moved through here & it's in the lower 60s/windy. Since I can't spray in this wind, I decided to pickup all the pears that blew down & make pear sauce (southern applesauce). I planned on canning it up tomorrow, but did that today instead (got 8 pints). Waste not, want not.

Pear_Sauce.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Watered the garden, flowerbeds & all the trees.

Started spraying RoundUp around the house & garden walls (liquid edging).

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished spraying RoundUp around the homesite.

Spent the rest of the day on the back porch drinking margaritas, playing tug-of-war & fetch the tennis ball with Dieter. He's maturing into a fine companion (better behaved & more attentive to commands). He'll be 10 months old this coming Sunday... time flies!!!

Got a couple of steaks & potatoes ready for tonight's supper. I also got a couple of pork chops ready as well (for tomorrow's supper). All will go on the smoker in a couple of hours.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Finished spraying RoundUp around the homesite.

Spent the rest of the day on the back porch drinking margaritas, playing tug-of-war & fetch the tennis ball with Dieter. He's maturing into a fine companion (better behaved & more attentive to commands). He'll be 10 months old this coming Sunday... time flies!!!

Got a couple of steaks & potatoes ready for tonight's supper. I also got a couple of pork chops ready as well (for tomorrow's supper). All will go on the smoker in a couple of hours.

Post some pics of that pup.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made bread.

Watered the garden.

Did the weekly shopping.

Made more bread pudding.

No pictures today, Dieter was not in a 'picture taking mood'...

Last edited:
K

ksk

Great day to start the day,dead battery in the truck.It was 5 1/2 years old so I guess I got my moneys worth.I could not believe what it takes to remove the battery.After taking 6 bolts off the battery guards,it was a b..... getting the battery out.I could not get my hands around the battery[tight fit] .I ended up standing on a ladder and got over the battery to come straight up.Thank goodness the new battery had a handle on it and it slipped into position.I had to remember where each nut went on the guards that I removed.The wife and I ended up painting the ''old deer stand''. I told her the stand hopefully will be around many years after we leave.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The additional seed flats & trays were delivered last night, so today I stared cleaning/sterilizing the 3" pots & putting them in the trays in preparation for starting the 300 'Royal Purple' Lirope. Also did the ones for when I start the spring garden stuff. I still need to get bags of the starter mix & fill them...

Took a few pictures of Dieter, but he will not stay still for the special one (hanging over the back of the couch with his front legs crossed).... that is classic Dieter.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Finished getting the seed trays ready & put them all in the greenhouse for safe keeping.

Something was digging in my radishes & cilantro. While the radishes weren't too tore up, it did a number on the cilantro... so I replanted 18 of them in a flat & will transplant them when they are 3" tall. In the meantime, I hope to kill whatever it is.

Watered the hanging baskets & pots on the porches.

Made pizza dough & the sauce for tonight's supper.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Cleaned out 90% of my community garden. Pretty simple - pulled the T posts with the tractor and a piece of chain then ran over the remaining corn stalks and dead sunflowers with the 60" tractor mower deck.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Since we didn't get any of the promised rain, I watered the garden. As luck would have it, we got 0.42" of rain 2 hrs later...

Sprayed the ants in the greenhouse with Malathion.

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk
M

Mr_Yan

Yesterday was 78 and sunny. Today 52 and raining.

My 2 year old is getting a cold - hope it is just a cold...