• Join Home Gardening Forum

Whatcha Up To???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cut the seed potatoes & then coated with powdered sulfur (they will be planted tomorrow).

Reformed 2 rows & fertilized them with 13-13-13.

Since we have been eating previously prepared meals for the last week, today we will be making Pollo a La Parilla (Mexican grilled chicken ) with w/cheese, green peppers & onions. Sides will consist of pinto beans, pico de gallo & stuffed jalapenos from the garden. It's good to be back in the saddle again!!!

Last edited:
  • Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the potatoes.

Planted 30' of carrots, 15' green lettuce, 15' red lettuce, 15' green onions & 15' pak choi (Chinese cabbage). Then watered these rows.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

2 year old kid took a spill off a 6' high playground platform today. Mommy and kid are at immediate care right now.

M

Mr_Yan

Mr. Yan, hope your 2 year old is OK, keep us posted.
Thanks @whistech. They got home about 30 minutes ago. Evaluated ok for now - never easy to evaluate a 2 year old let alone one that didn't take a nap today. Apparently the kid climbed to the top of the ladder but didn't make the step from the ladder to the platform. Possibly the saving grace here is this playground was a total replacement less than a year ago. The new ground that was installed is very soft and springy under fake grass.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made Italian bread.

Cleaned 3 more hummingbird feeders before storage (5 are still up for the stragglers).

Continued cleaning the back of the garden. When I'm done, I'll cover it with 6 mil plastic sheeting to minimize the weeding. I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Last edited:
M

Mr_Yan

Shelled more popcorn from the cobs. Up to about 3 gallons shelled.

Helped a friend take down and move a swingset / play scape.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Spent half the day preparing soil to plant out about 100' of bamboo along a property line next to a highly inconsiderate neighbor. I'm not a bamboo kind of guy, and I have a feeling he isn't either, lol! I went to the nursery today and checked out grown specimens, this stuff is huge!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
LOL!!! Bamboo is a 'gift' that keeps on giving!!! I hate inconsiderate neighbors... there seems to always be one nowadays, regardless on were you live. Plant it 3' from the fence line for quicker results.

• Up Vote
Reactions: ksk

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
LOL!!! Bamboo is a 'gift' that keeps on giving!!! I hate inconsiderate neighbors... there seems to always be one nowadays, regardless on were you live. Plant it 3' from the fence line for quicker results.

That's the plan lol! This all started when he put up a 50x100 shop 8' off the property line. I encouraged him to get a survey because I knew he was building closer than he thought. Nope, he is smarter than that. Well, he gets a survey after the fact and finds out just how close he is. Starts putting in fill dirt around building and extends dirt 6' into my property while filling in the ditch between us. I promptly removed that dirt and am using it to make a bed for the bamboo. The idiot has asked to cut my trees down because he can't manuever his tractor through that space anymore. Wall of bamboo on the way. I'm going to tend to it better than any vegetable I've ever grown.

K

ksk

That's the plan lol! This all started when he put up a 50x100 shop 8' off the property line. I encouraged him to get a survey because I knew he was building closer than he thought. Nope, he is smarter than that. Well, he gets a survey after the fact and finds out just how close he is. Starts putting in fill dirt around building and extends dirt 6' into my property while filling in the ditch between us. I promptly removed that dirt and am using it to make a bed for the bamboo. The idiot has asked to cut my trees down because he can't manuever his tractor through that space anymore. Wall of bamboo on the way. I'm going to tend to it better than any vegetable I've ever grown.
I was mowing my south pasture the other day [2 pm] when I see a young man in full camo/bow leaning on the fence line waving at me.I pulled up and he tells me that he was bow hunting and that I was disturbing his hunt.The temperature at the time was around 90 and with our acorn crop,deer have stopped coming to feeders a month ago. I told him I was almost finished,cranked up the tractor and begin mowing.I only had another 30 minutes of work,but I took my time and finished in 1 1/2 hours.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I was mowing my south pasture the other day [2 pm] when I see a young man in full camo/bow leaning on the fence line waving at me.I pulled up and he tells me that he was bow hunting and that I was disturbing his hunt.The temperature at the time was around 90 and with our acorn crop,deer have stopped coming to feeders a month ago. I told him I was almost finished,cranked up the tractor and begin mowing.I only had another 30 minutes of work,but I took my time and finished in 1 1/2 hours.

Haha,the ole fence line deer hunter. They never learn.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Planted the kohlrabi.

Kill the fire ant mounds in the yard again.

Made stuffed jalapenos (with cream cheese this time).

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Cleaned 3 more hummingbird feeders before storage (only 2 are still up at this point).

Reformed 2 more rows in the garden & applied 13-13-13 to them. Tomorrow I will plant the cabbage, broccoli & cauliflower.

Got a pot of pinto beans seasoned up & soaking for tomorrow.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
This is the Pride of Barbados that I grew from seed last year. I sprouted quite a few seeds, but only had 2 plants survive. These plants do not like potting soil, they prefer regular old yard dirt. I'm going to harvest seeds from these 2 and plant a bunch more to put around the property.

IMG_20171009_144508.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'm sure that they like 'dry feet'. The same as my my artichokes, which all bit the dust this year (probably due to the 23" of rain from Harvey). I'm disappointed to say the least. Same with the garbanzo beans... I'll try something else next year.

M

Mr_Yan

Last night my neighbor gave me a bunch of basil. They really over grew basil this year. I took about 25% of the basil they had and made over 2 quarts of pesto. I started at 7:15 and finished at 10:50.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I'm sure that they like 'dry feet'. The same as my my artichokes, which all bit the dust this year (probably due to the 23" of rain from Harvey). I'm disappointed to say the least. Same with the garbanzo beans... I'll try something else next year.

Yep, I lost years worth of garlic a few years back under similar conditions. Some things are just meant to be grown on steep hillsides.

M

Mr_Yan

Froze the pesto mostly in muffin tins: 30 muffins, 2 wide mouth pint jars, and half a jelly jar. My neighbor offered me more basil.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a pot of pinto beans. While they always are good, they will be especially good today as a cold front blew in this morning...

Watered the hanging baskets since I had to take them down anyways due to the wind.

Last edited:

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Here's the line where I'm planting the bamboo. I had an old wood pile (huge) that was rotten and I scooped all that up and added it to the beds. I'm going to the farm soon to get cow manure as a bonus. It's going be bamboo apocalypse.

IMG_20171010_173926.jpg