• Join Home Gardening Forum

Wanting to buy a bat house

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I've been wanting to get a bat house for a while now but during my research I've seen all sorts of houses being sold. Some for very large amounts to others extremely cheap. I've also found that the houses should be constructed in a certain manner to not only prolong the life of the house but also to protect and encourage bats to use the house.

I've been looking at this bat house but before I pulled the trigger wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with bat houses by chance?

M

Mr_Yan

My experience is with bats in my house.

When I called the exterminator out - the guy specializes in bats and raccoons - I specifically asked him about bat houses. My thinking was I wanted some bats around for mosquito control. Anyway he told me that big brown and little brown bats tend not to take to the bat houses regardless of design or mounting location. I don't know about your being in the south but here in Illinois we really only have the two brown bats.

D

dkerry5900

My brother-in-law has one, the bats decimated the mosquitoes. Although I believe he had issues getting them to move in at first. It took a while. If I remember correctly he had to move it to a spot that got morning sun cause they like it warm, and had to use a bat attractant spray that smelled like bat urine. But once he did both of those things they moved in.

SQWIB

Planting Zone
7A
I am trying my luck at Bat Houses this year. I did put a galvanized roof over top of the houses when I installed them.

After I ordered a bat house, I decided it was too small and ordered a larger one.

• Painting

• Sealing seams

• Painting again.

• Mounted houses to post.

• Added a galvanized steel roof

• Painted again.

• This was a bear to install even with my sons help, I had to straddle my neighbors fence and my grape vine wires, with nothing to stand on but a Rose of Sharon stump, GOOD TIMES!

RLwhaler

Planting Zone
8b
I am trying my luck at Bat Houses this year. I did put a galvanized roof over top of the houses when I installed them.

After I ordered a bat house, I decided it was too small and ordered a larger one.

• Painting

• Sealing seams

• Painting again.

• Mounted houses to post.

• Added a galvanized steel roof

• Painted again.

• This was a bear to install even with my sons help, I had to straddle my neighbors fence and my grape vine wires, with nothing to stand on but a Rose of Sharon stump, GOOD TIMES!

Would you kindly send the link to where you bought that bat house? mosquitoes are about to get bad here. I would like to try to curb the mosquitoes population. Thanks !

D

dkerry5900

Nice houses, and smart move with the painting supposedly those dark colors are best for keeping them warm inside which the bats like.