• Join Home Gardening Forum

want to buy new chainsaw

H

Hangman

im want to buy a new chainsaw which should i get? i will use it for cutting down bushes around the house and cutting small trees like twelve inches or small and limbs.

M

majorcatfish

it all depends on your overall needs and budget...

for dependably and quality husqvarna or stihl
personally have owned stihl's all my life have had 3 over the years never a problem starting.
ms 362 25" bar, the last 2 have been 290 farm boss 18"& 20" bars.

can not vouch for the other brands, will say this when picking up my chains there was quite a few of them in for repair last fall.
speaking of chains what ever saw you buy purchase a couple extra chains that way if you hit something beside wood you have a back up,
also get a file for chains that way you can keep them sharp till it's time to take them in. when it is time to take them in find someone who sharpens chains for a living, chains are not cheap
as for bar length 16"-18"or longer the better, almost took off my right arm while using a 12" helping cut some wood up<hit a nail and it kicked back just missing my nose, they were able to reattach most of my tricep and bicep muscles>.
a short bar will kick back a lot easier than a longer bar, with that said a longer bar is more controllable, it will kick....
so if the biggest tree your going ever cut down is 12", get a 16" saw.

E

ErnieCopp

I have a Stihl and owned several on the Farm, but chain saws do not do well with small limber branches. I have seen combs that bolt on that will make a good pruner or hedge trimmer from them. Two inch and under i would investigate the electric chain saw like my neighbor has, but you need a regular one for a twelve inch diameter tree.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I've had a bunch, and Stihl out performs them all hands down.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
The Stihl 290 farm boss is probably the most popular chainsaw, but might be a bit over kill for your needs for just small stuff.

I'd said you can't go wrong with a Stihl, Echo, or Husqvarna chainsaw. I have an old Echo 280e chainsaw that I've had for years and continues to keep going somehow. :)