• Join Home Gardening Forum

Vermicompost?

R

Royiah

Was wondering if anyone here did vermicomposting? I've been wanting to do it for awhile now but have been told that if it gets too hot worms will die. And here in the south it gets really hot. So should I do it?

M

Mr_Yan

I've done this for almost two years now.

There are several types of compost worms some can handle heat some can't and the same with cold. The big two species in the US are red wigglers (Eisenia fetida) and euro night crawlers (Eisenia hortensis) and these two guys tend to like it between 70 and 90. There are two others I've heard of Alabama Jumpers and India Blues but I can't really tell you about them. Another one for the south is black soldier fly larva as the composting vermin.

I now keep my bin outside only but these guys plow through kitchen scraps.

One idea I have seen to moderate temps is to have a long wooden bin set into the ground.

Another idea is to use the worms native to your garden by pocket composting scraps in your garden. As the microbes break down the organic matter native worms will travel through and eat the microbes. Eventually you can start a cycle of more worm food, more worms, more vermicompost, more plants, more kitchen waste, more worm food.

For a ton of worm info check out the blog http://www.redwormcomposting.com/ - he is a canuck but don't hold that against him.

R

Royiah

Ooh cool! Thanks for the info! I'm gonna read up some more before I decide what I'll do. :D

F

Free Flower Bulbs

I am trying to make best vcompost, thanks mr_yan for better info link.