• Join Home Gardening Forum

TRIP NORTH TO IDAHO

E

ErnieCopp

I have been offline for the last few days, as I got to feeling pretty good, and decided to drive to Idaho, visit my old Nursery, and see a few friends, so away we went.

Linda's son in law has bought some retirement property in Utah, only an hour or so off our route, so we decided to go by and see the area.

His directions were, Take County road 67 to the end of pavement, continue on dirt road, and you will see a sign that says "Whoa". Turn left there to the end of the road, and you will see a storage shed on the property. Simple enough. We followed the pavement to the end, drove on the dirt until we saw a road to the left, but could not see any sign of the sign. So we continued to the next dirt road, and the next dirt road, still not seeing the sign, for about 8 miles and hit another highway, so we turned around, and called him for better directions. We followed those directions back to the first dirt sideroad we had stopped at, but still no sign of the Whoa sign. He had not mentioned that the second time, so we followed the dirt side road, and found his property. Nice location, and just over a few mountains from where I used to shoot a lot of deer back in the 1950's.

As we were leaving, the Stop sign where we entered the dirt road, had the WHOA on it, instead of STOP so we had been looking at the back side of the sign as we arrived, and did not see the front of it until we were leaving.

Some of the semi desert country was about as green as i have ever seen it, and we continued on to a suburb of Salt Lake City, and visited a very good friend and customer from my Nursery days, bought some wonderful tree ripe peaches, with all the flavor i remember, but that are not available in the supermarkets now.

We then drove on to Dell, Montana, Population about 20, stopping at a little country restaurant where they still make raised donuts, bought a few, and kept going.

Next stop was the Nursery, in the far north of Idaho, just 30 miles from Canada, and the current owner is just like family, so we enjoyed a couple of days there, staying in the cabin down by the river, and just swallowing big gulps of that wonderful fresh air.

Then we headed for the West Coast, over in Washington, thinking we would enjoy some fresh fish. Got knocked off schedule when we got near Tacoma, as there have been so many Californians that have moved to WA, that they now have California style traffic jams.

Next day we made it to a highly recommended Seafood restaurant, in a town famous for its fishing fleet, Newport, Oregon, and as it was located right across the street from a large Fish Packing Plant, salivary juices began to flow. But, they did not have any fresh fish on the menu, only selling Frozen Alaska Cod, and Frozen Alaska Halibut, and Frozen Alaska Salmon. It was good, but not any better than we buy at Costco.

We then split for home, down I-5, through the San Joaquin Valley, a very productive agricultural area, but Farmers seem to be converting to Nut trees mostly, as they are mechanically harvested, so require less hand labor. So it looks like in a few years Nut Salad will be cheaper than Lettuce salad. Large parts have been taken out of production because water is being diverted to save some smelt and other small fish.

We drove 3307 miles in 8.5 days, minus the two days we did not travel. That will not seem like much to the guys from Texas, because some of it i have seen, they must drive that far just buying groceries, but it is pretty far to anyone else. I did tell Linda, when we were almost home, that i was thinking of selling my good suitcase, as i was pretty sure i was not going to be using it again.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Glad to hear that you & Linda had a good trip & made it back safely Ernie!!! To bad about the lack of fresh fish, that's really a shame...

And don't get rid of that suitcase just yet, you may want to come to Texas & visit with us for a spell. I sure some of the guys would like to come out to the ranch & meet both you & Linda.

Sign1.jpg House3.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
You have a beautiful place there, and i am sure it would be a good party. But with all that cooking you do, some might be afraid they would get stuck washing dishes.
I like Texas, and have driven clear across it, twice, from West to East. One trip across the middle, and the second one across the South. Beautiful Country.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
No trouble at all actually. When we throw a party, we just use stout paper plates & there is very little cleanup.

I highly recommend a springtime trip, the weather is usually quite nice & the countryside is in full bloom. In addition, everybody will have finished their springtime garden chores by then. Mid-April is usually the peak of the wildflower season!!!

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
About four years ago, we were looking for some Springtime, as it barely shows here in Southern CA, so we drove East, along I-8, clear to Mobile, AL, and apparently was 2 or 3 weeks early. So, while it was still a very good trip, we missed the Springtime we were looking for.
I doubt i will ever make the trip again, but I have never been good at predicting what i am going to be doing next.

Ernie

S

Slowngreen

You talking about up by bonners ferry area Ernie? Ive actually never been up there.
Farthest north Ive been is McCall, that was plenty of a drive for me lol. Im in southern Idaho.

E

ErnieCopp

Slown, I always read your posts with interest, but have not figured out yet where you are located.

McCall is at a much higher elevation than Bonners Ferry. Lewiston, where the Snake river leaves Idaho is the lowest point, and Bonners Ferry, or a little bit north of it, where the Kootenai leaves Idaho and flows into Canada is the second lowest elevation, or so i have been told.

So, Bonners is only about 2500 feet, as i recall, and is relatively mild. Good Wheat and Barley country, but so far up there transportation is a problem. Not good Hay country as only two good cuttings and the first one usually gets rained on.

Ernie

R

Rolex

His directions were, Take County road 67 to the end of pavement, continue on dirt road,
When the directions to your house include the phrase, "When you leave the paved road...." You MIGHT be a redneck.

E

ErnieCopp

Rolex,

Well he is not one, but i do wish he was.

Ernie