• Join Home Gardening Forum

Texas Star Hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
As some of may know, I started some seeds in late spring that we had in the freezer. The label had fallen off so I didn't know for sure what they were... I thought they were Abelmoschus aka 'Abel Moses', which is a form of hibiscus, but I was incorrect.

Turns out the seeds were from a Texas Star that we had about 20+ years ago, so they have been in the freezer for a LONG time... Only 1 out of 26 was still viable & I have been nursing it along all summer. It finally started blooming yesterday, so I hope to replenish my seed bank from this one plant.

For those that are not familiar with this type of hibiscus, it is a slender shrubby perennial that dies back in winter and re-sprouts in the spring & it must be protected from freezing. As with most hibiscus, the flowers last only one day but new ones continue to open all summer and into the fall. They do best in full sun & they need plenty of water to bloom. The scarlet hibiscus occurs naturally in swamps, marshes and ditches, along the Gulf coast. Established plants can have one to several stems up to 7 feet tall, mine is about 3 1/2 feet tall. The five petaled flowers are brilliant crimson red and anywhere from 6-8 inches across.

Texas_Star.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
From what I've found in researching them, zones 6-10. Remember to protect them from freezing & they will resprout the following year from the roots. Should work for your location if you mulch them before each winter Mike.

I been playing 'bee' with each bloom & the seed pods are forming.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Here is a picture of a couple of the seed pods. I have about 20-25 in various stages of development thus far.

Texas_Star_Seed_Pods.jpg

Rockytop

Planting Zone
8B
That is a beautiful Hibiscus Ranch man. I have never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

I

IcyBC

That's just a beauty red star hibiscus, which I haven't seen before! In my yard I have Roses of Sharon and they are not as all as unique like this one. Gorgeous!