• Join Home Gardening Forum

Storing fruits and vegetables for better taste

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
storing-fresh-fruits-vegetables-for-better-taste.jpg

Found an useful piece of information on how to store a number of fruits and vegetables that I thought I'd share here.

The flavor of fruits and vegetables is influenced by maturity and quality at harvest and by how they are stored afterwards. To maintain the freshness and flavor of the produce you buy at the market or grow in your garden, you should know how to store it at home.

Many fruits and vegetables should be stored only at room temperature because refrigerator temperatures (usually 38° to 42°F [3.3° to 5.6°C]) damage them or prevent them from ripening to good flavor and texture. For example, when stored in the refrigerator, bananas develop black skin and do not gain good sweetness, and sweet potatoes take on off-flavors and a hard core when cooked after being refrigerated.

Watermelons lose their flavor and deep red color if they are stored for longer than 3 days in the refrigerator. Pink tomatoes ripen to a better taste and red color if they are left at room temperature. They do not turn red in the refrigerator, and even red tomatoes kept in the refrigerator lose their flavor.

Other produce can be ripened on the counter, and then stored in the refrigerator. A few fruits and fruit-type vegetables gain sugar or soften when stored at room temperature. For example, Bartlett pears turn yellow and become softer and sweeter on the counter. After they have ripened they can be stored for 1 to 3 days in the refrigerator without losing taste.

Countertop Storage

The counter storage area should be away from direct sunlight to prevent produce from becoming too warm. Fruits and vegetables that are recommended to be stored on the counter can be kept for a few days. Even so, moisture loss can be reduced by placing produce in a vented plastic bowl or a perforated plastic bag. Do not place produce in sealed plastic bags on the counter because this slows ripening and may increase off-odors and decay due to accumulation of carbon dioxide and depletion of oxygen inside the sealed bag.

Ripening in a bowl or paper bag can be enhanced by placing one ripe apple with every 5 to 7 pieces of fruit to be ripened. Apples produce ethylene that speeds ripening. (Fuji and Granny Smith do not produce much ethylene and do not enhance ripening.)

Refrigerator Storage

Refrigerated fruits and vegetables should be kept in perforated plastic bags in the produce drawers of the refrigerator. You can either purchase perforated plastic bags or make small holes with a sharp object in unperforated bags (about 20 pin holes per medium-size bag).

Separate fruits from vegetables (use one drawer for each group) to minimize the detrimental effects of ethylene produced by the fruits on the vegetables. Use all refrigerated fruits and vegetables within a few days since longer storage results in loss of freshness and flavor.

Safe Handling

To be sure fruits and vegetables are not contaminated with harmful bacteria, follow these simple steps when selecting and storing fruits and vegetables.
  1. In the grocery cart and at home, keep fruits and vegetables separated from raw meat, poultry, and seafood to prevent cross-contamination.
  2. Once at home, store all fresh-cut ready-to-eat prepared produce in the refrigerator to keep it cold.
  3. Wash all whole fruits and vegetables, including larger items like melons, just before preparation for eating. Cut out damaged (bruised, discolored) areas before eating.
  4. Before and after handling fruits and vegetables make sure your work area and utensils are clean and that your hands have been washed with hot soapy water.
  5. Fruits and vegetables should be washed under running water. Soaking them in water increases the opportunity for crosscontamination and is not recommended.
  6. Produce such as apples, cucumbers and melons that can be rubbed without damage should be scrubbed using clean hands or a clean scrub brush.
  7. Dry washed fruits and vegetables with clean disposable paper towels.
  8. Once cut or prepared, all fruits and vegetables should be refrigerated promptly. After serving, refrigerate leftovers within two hours.
  9. It is not necessary to wash ready-to-eat prewashed and packaged fresh-cut produce. If you choose to rewash this type of produce follow the instructions above. Always wash unpackaged prepared salad mixes under running water prior to consumption.

Source and thanks to University of California.

S

StuartGrows

Hey this is great! Thanks for sharing!

I also did a bunch of research on preserving fruigs and veggies and keeping them fresher for longer. Maybe I should write something up about it!

E

ErnieCopp

We had a big crop of tomatoes this year, and i found the fastest way to ripen the ones that were not quite ready for the sauce pot,, was to put them in a cardboard box with a towel over the box to keep the fruit knats away. I did not do any comparison tests but believe they ripen in half the time those left on the counter ripen.

Ernie

S

StuartGrows

hey Erinie!

Try throwing a ripening banana into the box with them, I believe the methane that the banana gives off will help the tomatoes along too!

E

ErnieCopp

Stuart, I have heard that about apples, too. But the tomatoes ripened so quickly in the box they were ripe by the time the vines were ready to pick again, about 2 or 3 days, I would process the ripe ones that i just picked with the ripened ones in the box, and put the yellow ones from the most recent picking in the box to ripen by the next picking and processing time.

Ernie

S

StuartGrows

lol I see, any faster and your little system would break down :) awesome

E

ErnieCopp

That was my first really good tomato crop here as nights are too cool for blossom set, and not warm enough in the day time for growth, so until i had enough to process i would just leave them on a table or windowsill in prior years.. I may never have enough again to need it. I have some melon varieties that are not ripe yet and temp dropped to 55 degrees last night so they my not ripen this year. They are a variety that has not ripened with the regular ones, so i am hoping to at least get a taste.
Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

I do not recall off hand. Two new varieties i was trying. one is a Spanish melon that is looking like a Cantaloupe on the skin but is oblong shaped, and the other one still has blooms on with half inch melons on a couple. i have the names written down somewhere if i like them and want to save seed. My best one this year was the OGEN. Sam from W R Ranch gave me the seed. I liked them but my wife prefers the Cantaloupe, so i will grow both of those next year. I am giving up on the Persian type because the vines are so susceptible to mildew here.
I tried the Crane Melons, but had problems with bottom rot, so will try them again and protect the bottoms.

If the late melons turn out good i will save seed but if not, i will try a couple more new ones next year.

I just grow Melons, sweet peppers, tomatoes and several different kinds of fruit.
Ernie

S

StuartGrows

My mouth is watering. Now I really want some Melon. I am going to rip into that watermelon that I have at home waiting for me.

I wonder if the one that is like a cantaloupe is a crenshaw melon?

E

ErnieCopp

No, Crenshaws are Persian melons, and i have grown them for several years but each year i have had worse problems with mildew on the vines. This year the Persian or Crenshaw was the only one with mildew so i am going to stop growing them. They are my personal favorite for flavor and texture.
I know one of the late ones is a Spanish melon. I will dig out the planting record and see what the other one is. The two slow plants have morning shade, and if either one of them is good, i will give them a sunnier spot next year.
Copper does a good job of controlling mildew but damages the surface appearance of melons and cucumbers.

Where are you located in Zone 6a?
Ernie

S

StuartGrows

Wow..yeah I am going to learn a lot from these forums. Exciting!

I just realized when I checked a map that I may actually be zone 7 instead of 6. That's what I get for trying to rely on memory. I'm in DC.

E

ErnieCopp

You will learn a lot from Sam of W R ranch when he returns. He seems to know more about gardening than the rest of us do, but he will not be back until October.
Do not put too much blind faith in your Zone number, as there are many different microclimates in each Zone that are either warmer or colder. I am supposed to be in a Frost Free Zone, similar to yours, but have had a lot of frost damage here some years, when it does not frost just 10 miles from here.

Ernie

E

ErnieCopp

Stuart, The names of the late melons referred to above are Sawatch Tuscan which is probably Italian and Araucino which is Spanish.
Both are still blooming with melons of different sizes on them so we will see.

Ernie

S

StuartGrows

Tossing much of these things into a large mason jar and vacuum sealing will help to preserve them all for much much longer than just the methods in that chart alone.

I don't throw out any produce anymore :D

The buyer's guide I mentioned earlier can be read here

I've also started a vacuum sealer bag and roll discount buyer's club. I find the best prices on vacuum sealer bags and rolls and email you where and when to get them.

J

JGarden1

This table is really useful! I should print it and pin on my fridge! I didn't know that strawberries should be stored in refrigerator. Maybe that is why mine that fast are getting rotten. Thank you for that piece of information!