• Join Home Gardening Forum

Stink Bug Nymphs

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Every year I deal with these dang things! Anyone have any advice besides the liquid 7 that I normally spray?

Ps.. One of you moderator guys please correct my spelling of Nymphs.. geez..

E

ErnieCopp

Your spelling looks good to me, but I am rapidly losing my ability to spell because Spell Checker makes life too easy.
It is not included on this site, so spelling mistakes are shared along with our comments and observations.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Nothing wrong with liquid sevin. You can also use malathion. I use both here.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I'll continue with the sevin.. just a never ending battle I guess. Seems like every time I put it on there it comes a 2" rain to wash it all off.

E

ErnieCopp

It is not just the foreign countries, though. Remember when all the people caught E-coli from fresh Spinach grown in Salinas, but picked by immigrant field workers that apparently were contaminating the Spinach?

Ernie

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
I wasn't trying to spur a political conversation. LOL- just looking for something that lasted a bit longer than sevin to spray on my garden.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Heck, that wasn't political at all. It was more a public safety announcement... I personally don't trust the safety of store bought produce given the sporadic outbreaks that we have seen. I believe it is better to grow your own & know exactly how it was raised.

In regards to insecticides, most are contact killers & 'short duration' by design to keep the bugs from building a genetic resistance to it.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Gotcha.. I guess a systemic bug killer wouldn't be very good for me now that I think about it.. :)
I hate the store bought stuff too but unfortunately I'm stuck buying at least some of it.. I supplement where I can though!

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Hitchcock? Maybe stink bugs are a Texas thang. I saw my first adult stink bug on a tomato plant today. I had also seen two adults when I was first planting my spring garden. This tells me they were able to "overwinter" as I haven't seen any nymphs yet; maybe I just haven't had a chance to look that closely since today was my first day back in the garden. Last year, I was picking off the adults and dropping them in soapy water to kill them. W.R. said Sevin will kill the nymphs. I'll be looking closer next time out, which I hope is tomorrow; despite our 100% chance of thunderstorms. I just talked to a cousin in New Braunfels and she said they are getting hit really hard right now with rain, wind, lightening and tornado warnings. Guess this is what's headed Houston's way.