• Join Home Gardening Forum

Squash and Zucchini Plants

T

TheGAGardener

Hello Everybody!

Thanks for helping with the corn pests. The squirrel is no longer eating the corn stalks. (y):hungover:(y)

I do have another question. Please see attached pictures for my squash plants. I don't think there is a SVB, it looks like they somewhat broke under their own weight? Also, they have mildew on them. I've been using a mixture of milk, baking soda, and dish detergent, to raise the basicity of the plants to make the mildew die off. Any suggestions on what to do with this and why the plants are looking horrible?

Also, I accidentally let my zucchini get slightly scorched. Any idea on how to fix them? It looks like they are attempting new growth, but thought I'd see if you had any suggestions.

Thank you so much for your time and response!!

Attachments

• IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 10
M

Mr_Yan

One of the pics clearly shows powdery mildew. This generally isn't a problem until it blocks enough of the leaf that photosynthesis is greatly reduced. Powdery mildew is hard to impossible to control. Baking soda pretty much won't do anything once the fungus is established and the jury is out if it would ever do anything against powdery mildew.

The pic of the stems is hard to tell what that is. It does look like something mechanically damaged the stem and you're seeing the crystallized dried sap as the yellow / brown chunks. Again this is hard to see in a photo. This could be vine borrer or something else damaged the stem.

As for the sun burn those leafs are gone. Trim out the dead and clean up the garden to control pests / problems.

J

JasonHeinz

Most of the time mildew develops during humid summer weather. It affects the lower leaf surface, stems, flowers, buds and even the fruit. You can use spray that is infected plants with fungicides. Effective fungicides for powdery mildew treatments or cures include sulfur, lime-sulfur, neem oil, and potassium bicarbonate. If it does not work, then you can consult some professional pest controller, who will provide you with proper suggestions regarding pesticides.

Like, my neighbor was also dealing with almost similar issues, as their plants were having powdery mildew which were going to slow down the growth of their plant. Then, they had started rubbing the infected leaves together, which had helped them to partially remove the disease from the plants. Later on, they had called up the pest control Bronx NY team, where they had used some eco-friendly pesticides and suggested them to use fungicides.

W

WilliamBentley

TheGAGardener, That is really a great news that squirrel is no longer eating the corn stalks.