• Join Home Gardening Forum

Sourdough Rye Bread

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Old-style Deli Rye, which is only 40% rye. It is has the pronounced flavor & texture of rye, with the handling virtues of wheat. It uses a 3-stage build (2 days).

DAY 1, STAGE 1
1 Tbs. of the sour rye culture
1/3 cup of rye flour
3 Tbs of warm water

Combine the above ingredients in a bowl & cover it with either a dinner plate or plastic wrap. Put it in a warm, dark place for 5 - 6 hrs, until it has increased in bulk & has a fresh, sour smell.

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_1_Step_1.jpg

DAY 1, STAGE 2
1/2 cup of the sour rye culture from Step 1 (basically that is everything)
2 1/2 cups of rye flour
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs of warm water (90 degrees)

Add flour & water to the sour from Step 1 and let ferment for 4 or 5 hrs, until bubbly, them refrigerate overnight. Here is the picture after completing this step:

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_1_Step_2.jpg

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_1_Step_2_ Weight.jpg

DAY 2, STAGE 3
3 cups of the sour rye culture from Step 2 (basically that is everything)
4 cups of high-gluten flour
1 1/4 cups of hot water (108 degrees)
1 1/4 tsp of instant yeast
2 3/4 tsp of salt
1 Tbs of ground caraway seeds
4 Tbs of whole caraway seeds

Add the hot water to the sour from step 2, stirring to blend. In a separate bowl, combine the high-gluten flour, yeast, salt, ground caraway seeds and 2 Tbs of the whole caraway seeds and blend these dry ingredients thoroughly. Add the sour/water mixture continue mixing by hand or with a flat paddle on your KitchenAid Mixer until the dough is smooth & firm.

Switch to a dough hook & knead for another 8 minutes, until the dough is a smooth & firm ball. Place the resulting dough ball in a big bowl & cover it with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap until the dough doubles in size.

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_2_Step_3A.jpg

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_2_Step_3B.jpg

When that is done, turn the dough out unto your work surface & degas it thoroughly. Divide it into 2 equal pieces & roll into balls. Press the dough into a flat oval & roll it towards you (jelly-roll style) into your final loaves.rounding the ends of each loaf.

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_2_Step_3C.jpg

Set the loaves seam side down on a piece of parchment paper (generously dusted paper with cornmeal) that is on a proofing board or pizza peel. Cover with a damp tea towel & allow to rise until the reach 1.5 times their original bulk (about 60 minutes). You can tell when the loaves are fully proofed when a finger poked gently into the surface leaves a dent.

When they are fully proofed & ready to go, preheated the oven to 375 degrees & place a pie dish filled with water (slid it into the middle of the lowest rack), this will provide the high humidity needed for 'oven-spring' & to help keep the crust relatively pliable to prevent a possible 'blowout'.

I lightly sprayed the loaves with water & sprinkled the last 2 tablespoons of the whole caraway seeds unto the tops of the loaves and then scored them (also to prevent blowouts).

Jewish_Deli_Rye_Day_2_Step_3D.jpg

When the oven reached 375, I slid them from the proofing board unto my big pizza stone and set the timer for 20 minutes. I then rotated the loaves to ensure even browning & set the timer for another 20 minutes. When the crust was a deep golden brown, I removed them from the oven, 'thumped" them on the bottoms to see if they were done & then transferred them to cooling racks.

Continued in the next post...

Last edited: