• Join Home Gardening Forum

soils - compost and amendments

M

Mr_Yan

So I've been reading more on soil additives and the like.

A few days ago @w_r_ranch mentioned mushroom compost. From what I have read it is either love it or hate it. I have no opinion on it at this point but haven't tried it either.

I have been doing vermicompost (composting with worms) for about three years now. This has been a great way to get rid of kitchen scraps and some garden waste but makes a stronger / more concentrated compost than typical piles rather the vermicompost is more like a weak fertilizer. I was using it both as an amendment and making a foliar spray with it last year.

We all know manures can be great but I don't have an easy source or way to move it. I hope to get meat rabbits going sometime in the future and that would be a source.

One amendment I have just stumbled on is biochar (aka charcoal). This is from an organic site that came up in the search: (source = http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/biochar
Biochar also stimulates mycorrhizal fungi—those fungal symbionts that live on plant roots, scour surrounding soil for hard-to-find phosphorus, and deliver it back to their host plants. According to scientists studying the soils, microbial growth of all kinds is substantially improved. And so is the soil’s ability to hold nutrients until plants need them, then dole them out at the optimum rate for plant health. Crops have been shown to grow 45 percent greater biomass on unfertilized terra pretasoil versus poor soil fertilized with chemical fertilizers.

Hugelkultur and lasagna gardening has had my eye for a while now but will be more for a future garden.

The majority of my garden is made up of large containers and almost all of these were filled with compost and / or organic matter composted in place. I don't have a soil analysis as each container will be so different based on what composted nor can I think of an easy way to mix all the containers into a homogeneous blend.

The mushroom compost and the charcoal has my interest right now. Does anyone have experience playing with either of these (or other soil building methods) and what application rate did you use? The engineer in me is starting to design an experiment but the space requirement will be tricky.