• Join Home Gardening Forum

Smoked Herb Chicken

M

Mr_Yan

So I tried my smoked whole chicken again. Whole chicken beer-butt style with an herb mix rubbed under the skin. I had this in the smoker at about 250 for three hours and finished it off in the oven when we started some bread. I don't find that liquid in the can really imparts any additional flavor in the bird so I only use an empty can as a stand to hold the bird upright. I then put this in a cake pan to keep clean up easy in an electric smoker.

This seasoning mix was really what ever got in the way and it varies each time:
Equal parts by volume dry herbs
Chili powder
Garlic powder (usually use fresh but I was lazy and working on other things too)
Thyme
Rosemary (chopped finely)
Sage (chopped finely)
Oregano
Parsley flakes

I used apple wood "grilling pellets" in foil pouches for the smoke. I'm not really a fan of these and like real wood chips better but it is what I have and won't buy again.

Any thoughts from the smoker masters?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I'd eat it... Looks good & moist too!!!

I have not done a beer can chicken in the longest time... BTW, the purpose of the beer isn't to impart any particular flavor, but to keep the chick moist. Personally, I consider it a waste of beer & can do the same thing by putting a pan of water directly under the meat.

I like to split whole chicken into halves, rub the halves down with some oil, apply a good coat of BBQ Rub & put them in plastic wrap (4-6 hours ahead of time). Then smoke them for ~3 hours at 260-275. They're done when you can twist the drumstick bone.

There is a post/pics from the ones I did Saturday here.

Last edited:

finkikin

Planting Zone
8B
That looks very juicy. Looks like you held the moister in great! I'd hit it.

Like WR said, I'd drink the beer and just use a pan of water below the meat...

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
How much of each spice did you use to make the mix?

The chicken looks great!

M

Mr_Yan

How much of each spice did you use to make the mix?

Now you have to ask the hard questions huh? I think about a teaspoon for a single chicken.

M

Mr_Yan

There was no problem with this bird (or any of my chicken) drying out. I think most of the drying out problems people run into is cooking it over too high of heat. Yes, chicken has to be cooked through but that doesn't mean cooking over a jet of fire.

WR I think I will use the rub and wrap you mentioned above. I have some chicken leg quarters to do (39 cents a pound a week ago so I broke out the vac sealer) and I want to learn to better control my kettle for lower temps.