• Join Home Gardening Forum

Seedling progress

W

Waite

Everyone is doing well. Time to thin the tomatoes, marigolds, and some of the other plants. Peppers need another week for adult leaves to form so I'll leave them alone for now.

Sweet potatoes are odd. The Jewels are going very slowly, but are finally starting to grow slips. The garnets are doing much better. That one on the far end looks like a jungle! I'll snap some of them off and get them rooting.

W

Waite

Wisconsin Lakes, green bell

Beaver Dam, a large red conical pepper with thick flesh, like a sweet pepper but with a mild kick. Brought to the U.S. by a Hungarian family. I used it last year to make smoked paprika, this year I planted 3 times as much, I want to try stuffing them!

Jalapeno, just a few for cooking.

Cayenne, for canning and drying. I use them to make a peppered sweet dill pickle.

Wenk's yellow hots, a medium hot wax pepper for canning.

Sweet banana, for canning.

W

Waite

Sweet potato slips are doing well. I have 10 that can be planted right now, others still forming roots. Goal is 16

Those two that weren't doing much have started to take off. Hopefully they'll be ready to start rooting next week. Look like I may get 4.

Tomatoes are doing great! Not bad for a week's worth of growth.

E

erinaiston

It depends totally on what sort of 'seedling' it is, the thing that season it is, the place you live and what your intent is for that specific plant.

W

Waite

Here's week four. Even though we're (just) past last frost, I need two more weeks before they go outside, might not make it. I may put the tomatoes out a week earlier and just cover if needed.

Here are last week's starts Squash, Mellon, cukes.