• Join Home Gardening Forum

seed starting and fertilizer / fish emulsion

M

Mr_Yan

I've read several places where people use fish emulsion (often mixed about half strength) on potted seedlings. I think @majorcatfish was one of those who did it.

I am potting my started seedlings up using merical grow potting mix (pre fertilized potting mix).

I also have vermicompost that I make here which I can make a compost tea out of to water seedlings with.

Would fish emulsion be something to try also or is the mix of MG potting media and fish emulsion too much?

I am just getting my wife to eat fish more - how fishy does the emulsion smell in the house where I start my seedlings?

M

majorcatfish

if i read the miracle-gro label correctly it has a fertilizer rate of 0.09 - 0.05 - 0.07, and if you use <alaska fish emulsion > it has a rate of 5-1-1
you should be ok..
as for the smell, it's has a little smell when you mix it but once the plants suck it up no smell...
years ago used it on my corn worked really good, but it also brought in every coon,possum and skunk from a 3 mile radius. for some strange reason they all died of lead poisoning........

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr_Yan

if i read the miracle-gro label correctly it has a fertilizer rate of 0.09 - 0.05 - 0.07, and if you use <alaska fish emulsion > it has a rate of 5-1-1
you should be ok..
as for the smell, it's has a little smell when you mix it but once the plants suck it up no smell...
years ago used it on my corn worked really good, but it also brought in every coon,possum and skunk from a 3 mile radius. for some strange reason they all died of lead poisoning........
Was it a quick death like 2200 fps?

M

majorcatfish

bingo

Last edited by a moderator: