• Join Home Gardening Forum

Salt Rolls

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This morning Mrs Ranch said she had a taste for something salty, so I told her I'd see what I could do... after I made the bread & rolls for this week's meals. Both the herb bread/rolls came out excellent in my humble opinion, however the salt rolls came out so darn good, that I figured some here may want to try it...

7 cups of bread flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
1 teaspoons cane sugar
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
Flake salt (topping)
Caraway seeds (topping)

Mix the yeast, cane sugar & warm water together. Let this sit for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg & vegetable oil together. NOTE: Hold back a small amount of this mixture to use as a 'basting wash' prior to baking.

Blend the dry flour & sugar together.

Now add the liquid ingredients to the flour/sugar & mix thoroughly by hand (this is a very stiff dough). Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is very smooth & elastic, then set it aside to let it rise until it doubles in size.

Turn the dough onto a dry board (no additional flour) & punch it down. Divide into 8 equal sized balls. By hand, start rolling each into long tubes/snakes about 3/4" in diameter and then fold them in half so that the ends meet. Cut these in half & twist each into a spiral, placing them on parchment paper as you go along.

Let the resulting rolls rise again for about 30 minutes. Then apply egg wash & liberally sprinkle each roll with flake salt & whole caraway seeds.

Bake at 435 degrees for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe yields 16 rolls. Enjoy!!

Salt_Rolls.jpg

Herb_Bread_Rolls.jpg

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Oh, you're the cook. Lucky Ms. Ranch!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Actually we split many of the daily chores, for instance, I do all the baking & all the grilling/smoking (except meatloaf, which is her domain, LOL!!!).