Planting Zone
8b
8 cups of bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tsp instant dried yeast
4 tsp salt
4 cups warm water

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt together. Add the instant dried yeast to to the bowl of flour, along with the remaining 4 cups of warm water & the olive oil. Mix it with your hands, adding additional flour until you have a smooth ball of dough, then cover the bowl with a damp towel & place it in a warm spot to rise.

In a couple of hours, the dough will double in size. At this point, de-gas the dough by kneading it with your fists (while continuously folding it in thirds). Then place it back into the bowl to rise a second time (about an hour).

When that is done, it is time to form the dough into loaves. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board, divide the dough in half and gently shape into ovals or circles. Dust with flour and set aside to rise for about 30 minutes while the oven is preheating to 400 degrees.

Gently lift the bread and place it on a well-floured pizza peel or a well-floured piece of heavy cardboard. Slide onto the baking stone or cookie sheet in an oven.

I bake the bread for approximately 30 minutes in our oven, but each oven is different. If you thump on the bottom of the loaf and the sound is hollow, the bread is done.

When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool. We store them in a brown paper bags.

Yields three 2+ pound loaves. Enjoy!!!

Italian_Bread_1.jpg

Italian_Bread_2.jpg

S

Slowngreen

Seems fairly easy to do. Might have to give it a try. Wonder if adding garlic powder/salt?/diced garlic would result in a garlic type bread or would it taste weird after the baking?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
When my wife wants garlic bread, I form somewhat smaller loaves (baggettes). Then it is just a matter of slicing them lengthwise. She mixes about 4 cloves of garlic with a stick of softened butter & spreads it on both the upper & lower halves. Then all you have to do is put the halves back together, wrap it in foil & put in either the oven or the grill for about 20 minutes.

This is a very versatile recipe and can be utilized for a variety of dishes... Let me see what I have pictures of & I'll post them up.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Oh my goodness. I just had lunch and this is making me hungry all over again.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Made a 'White Pizza' last night for supper. Loaded with ranch grown tomatoes & onions, then added black & green olives, artichoke hearts, palm hearts, peperoncini and loads of mozzarella.

Pizza_1.jpg

Pizza_2.jpg

Pizza_3.jpg

Pizza_4.jpg

Pizza_5.jpg

Last edited:

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, did you use the Italian Bread Recipe you posted to make the pizza crust? I am going to have to give that a try. And by the way, thanks for the invite to the forum.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yes, all the same recipe.

I make a batch every 3 days & let it rise for 2 or 3 hrs, punch it down to degas it & then divide it in thirds. I use one for a loaf that day & the other two go into separate bowls for use over the next couple of days... just store them in the frig & take them out as needed.

It's awesome having fresh baked bread everyday!!!

M

mountain man

Mom use to make rectangle pizza, she made them in Limajun Pans. Great how to, with pictures.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks MM!

Today was kind of messed up between the rain & waking up at 0130, so here's a quick variation that was supper... Large pulled pork kolaches served with BBQ sauce on the side...

PP_Kolache_1.jpg

PP_Kolache_2.jpg

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
How/when do you put all that stuff inside the dough? Are you rolling it out with a rolling pin and then rolling everything up inside? Your cooking skills are really impressive. Mom helped me make strawberry jam today - very labor intensive for me. I turned around and saw she had stopped cutting strawberries and was just sitting there watching me at the sink. I said, "What?" Mom said, "I'm just enjoying watching you do this (canning jam). Do you like it?" I said, "I think I've found a new obsession. I just have to figure out how to do it and have it come out right each time." Mom is definitely seeing a new side of me. I'm rather shocked myself.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
How/when do you put all that stuff inside the dough? Are you rolling it out with a rolling pin and then rolling everything up inside?

You can roll it out or stretch it by hand, either will work. Lay the stuffing on the top like you would when making a pizza, then roll it up & seal all the seams.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I'm making this bread today as I wait to hear back from the vet on Lily. I'll let you know how it turns out. The yeast smells wonderful. It's already risen for 2 hours, I de-gassed it by kneading, and now I'm waiting on it to rise for another hour. Hopefully, I'll have Lily back from the vet by then.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
What seasonings are showing on top of your white pizza? I assume you cook the "crust" before you add the other items?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
You can stuff it with whatever you like on a pizza... I'm a carnivore, so I always use a meat, along with onions, cheese, etc...