• Join Home Gardening Forum

Redoing fence and garden bed

M

Mr_Yan

So I am rebuilding my fence and main garden bed. In my backyard

This fence was partially rebuilt 10 years ago but I reused the pickets that are who knows how old. By this year it has gotten to the point where they're just falling apart.

The main garden bed was built of 2x4 and T111 ply that I stained and oiled. This was built in April / May of 2010.

As it was early Saturday morning

As it was early Saturday morning

More before shots

This was a sign that there wasn't much life left in the garden bed

So I walked into Home Depot at 6:05 Saturday - about 5 minutes after the doors opened for the day and loaded the mini-van. You don't see the three 16' 2x4s on the roof. I had some "help" unloading when I got home.

Fence gone - starting the rebuild phase.

The new garden bed will be along the edge of the fence so I placed 2x10s and a 2x8 to be the side wall of the bed. These are standard 2x stock that I applied boiled linseed oil to.

After the preliminary fence was back in I started to excavate the old garden beds and found all sorts of buried sins and rotten wood

Something possessed me to put in a false floor on this bed. That failed and just rotten wood pulp left.

Another shot of rotten wood pulp and mu false floor frame.

Naturally the old bed is right where I want the new bed and is perfectly in the way. So I had to move all the dirt out of the old garden and then will have to move it back. Some of my ideas are terrible.

I have asked myself "What was I thinking" several times and usually with some more colorful words inserted in it.

As of 4 PM Monday the old beds are out of the way and the new bed frame is ready to be installed and set. BUT the rain started and drove me inside.

M

Mr_Yan

So it's been a long slog but here is what is a nearly finished garden bed and fence:

The frame is painted 2x4 joined with pocket hole screws. The dirt is in contact with the galvanized corrugated.

I just need to put up some trellis now and finish the gate pickets.

So far I have onion and kale planted and several seeds in ground. Spinach is just germinating now. Carrots are slow. Beets only went in a few days ago and lettuce went down yesterday.