• Join Home Gardening Forum

Pole Beans on Corn - bad idea?

M

Mr_Yan

OK old timers I plan on growing popcorn again and some dry pole beans. Is it worth trying to grow the pole beans up the corn stalks?

The corn is a Purdue hybrid yellow popcorn which hit about 8 feet tall last year
The beans are Good Mother Stallard which I have never grown before.

I've heard about this pairing but don't know if it is just folk lore and legend at this point.

I half way think I will save on setting up the trellis for the beans only to pay for it in having to hunt for the bean pods on dry / dead corn stalks.

W

Waite

I've grown 3 sisters before. As long as your corn stalks are stout enough to support the beans, it works great. Most modern corn, especially sweet, isn't sturdy enough. Corn first, then plant the beans when the corn is about 6" tall. Don't forget the squash!

Plenty of information out there. Do a search on "three sisters". The native Americans knew exactly what they were doing.

M

Mr_Yan

This popcorn was pretty sturdy but I was growing it with a pretty dense planting. I will only plant the pole beans along the outside row of corn as a trial. Because of the planting density I go with I don't think squash will get enough sun inside the corn patch. My current garden layout has watermelon on one side of the popcorn and butternut squash on the other.