• Join Home Gardening Forum

Pizza - wood fire grilled

M

Mr_Yan

My wife and I like wood fired pizza and over the winter I saw this reviewed on a grill blog:
Kettle Pizza Kit

I like the idea but the kit cost more than my whole grill did. So I figured I could make it. I should mention I've never really worked with steel or metal generally. And I didn't have any plans just a general idea of what it looked like.

$35 at Home Depot for steel and hardware and $35 for a pizza stone and peel on Amazon plus about two hours and I have this:

After I built the unit I downloaded the user guide from Pizza Kettle only to find that it lists general dimensions. Mine is about 4 inches taller and has a larger door. I think the larger door is causing mine to lose heat rather fast resulting in a great difference between the hot and cool side of the pizza.

Today was the second time I have used it and we made three ten inch pizzas.

The third one was still in the oven when this was taken.

I have learned a few things about this:
  • Pizza dough sticks to an aluminum peel regardless of the amount of corn meal used and the results are not pretty. I staged my raw crusts on cardboard this time and they slid right off.
  • My fire needs to be more even and spread around. I listened to one of the reviewers and he said to put the fire and coals across the back of the grill.
  • Have all your toppings and such staged. Once it gets going things move fast.
Later on I would like a masonry outdoor oven. A few tons of thermal mass would be great. I can just imagine the breads and pizzas out of that. Not to mention I hate running the oven inside when it's hot out (about 90° F and dew point of 80°)

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@Mr_Yan what size metal did you use for your "kit"? Like the idea but I agree with you the pre-made kit is ridiculously priced.

M

Mr_Yan

@Mike
I used the 10"x24" sheets of 22 gauge from Home Depot. My grill took three full sheets these were about $10 each.

The pieces are put together with pop rivets that I had already. Mine is a full 10" tall but if you go read the FAQ at kettlepizza.com they list off their dimensions as 6.5" tall and the door is 17" x 3.25".

Also down load their instruction booklet also linked on the FAQ site.

I bought some high temp spray paint for it but have yet to use it.

Meadowlark

Planting Zone
Later on I would like a masonry outdoor oven. ...

Vey nice.

Funny but I've always wanted to build a masonry oven/grill. Jut never seemed to have the time....if you build one please post some pictures.

M

Mr_Yan

@Meadowlark I'm a few years and a new house away from building a outdoor wood-fired oven. We don't plan on being in the house too much longer and can't think of where to make it here anyway. But that doesn't stop me from reading and researching. Most people think of the concrete igloos as used for for the popular pizzas but I am starting to like this idea Wood-fired barrel oven

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
If you go with that idea, I would procure a section of at least 1/4" pipe (thicker is better) & not use a 55 gal. drum. a drum will rust out in 6 months (trust me on this). Also do not use any galvanized parts whatsoever in the construction.

A steel fabricator (welder) will have it or be able to get it since you will have to have the back end/front door welded anyway.

Another source is an outdoor sign company (if one is anywhere near you), that do the big billboards, give them a shout. Sometimes they may have sections that are a little short for their use.

E

ErnieCopp

Both in the little town in Idaho and down here in the Los Angeles suburbs, i have found Metal Scrap Dealers that sell used steel for a fraction of what new steel costs. So look around as there may be one not too far from you, if your welder does not have just what you need.

Ernie