• Join Home Gardening Forum

Picked up some 3-3/4" net pots today.

W

Waite

Last year I began using net pots for my seed starts. They offer a lot of advantages like air pruning, reusability, already set up for root watering, etc. One of my favorite features is the ability to just drop them in the ground without upsetting the roots. At the end of the season, you just yank out the plant along with the pot and tear the pot off the roots.

Being the first time I wasn't too sure, so I bought all 3" pots.The seeds were started 8 weeks before last frost. Before I was able to move them outside the tomatoes were so large I ended up having to put them in pots for a few weeks. I'm hoping the larger pot and a two week delay in starting the seeds solves the issue. Planning 22 tomato plants this year as compared to 12 last year. I don't have enough room for that many large plants plus the other stuff. If they get too big both the tomatoes and yours truly will be in the garage!

M

Mr_Yan

Have you ever seen soil blocks for transplants? You buy a $30 tool to compress the cubes then grow the seed in there and drop the whole cube in the ground. No plastic to pull out and maintain and store. Roots are air-pruned. I bought a 1.5" blocker four years ago then bought another 2" block maker last year.

W

Waite

I have. I've looked at several options including homemade newspaper pots, manure pots, etc. I ended up going with the net pots. I recall at the time there was something about the soil blocks I didn't care for, but for the life of me I can't remember now what it was. More than likely it was something I simply over analyzed.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waite

Giant marigold from last year.