• Join Home Gardening Forum

Ordered a dehydrator

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Pulled the trigger on a Cabela's unit that is large enough to meet our requirements. Ernie's success with dehydrating influenced us in our decision to seek an additional way of preserving our produce. We will finally be able to save all our potatoes & onions. Also want to try some tomatoes!!!

The 160-liter model has 24 (21-1⁄2" x 16") racks for a total of 56 sq. ft. of drying space & produces 1,600 watts.

Dehydrator.png

M

Mr_Yan

Cool.

Think you can you turn it cool enough to save herbs without much flavor loss like you get with hot dehydrators?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
110 degree min. - 160 degree max.

While I don't dry a lot of herbs, we have always sandwiched them between 2 furnace filters & then tied them to a box fan for 24 hrs. It works & makes the house smell real good in the process. (y)

M

Mr_Yan

Now the bug is biting me too. I just spent the last two hours reading about dehydrators and how to keep dried fruit.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Don't buy a Cabela's dehydrator, the one I had crapped out after only one year & you can't get replacement parts... It was a big waste of money IMO. I replace it with a STX INTERNATIONAL Dehydra STX-DEH-1200W-XLS 10-Tray Stainless Steel Digital Food Dehydrator, 1200-watt unit. It's performed very well & has a 3 year warranty. It's also easier to clean & replacement parts are readily available (and reasonably priced) if you should have a problem down the road.

Excalibur also makes a good unit, however it is constructed of plastic... I personally prefer stainless steel.

M

Mr_Yan

We just got a Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator. Just another stack of round plastic drying racks with a heater and fan on top. While it is not that luxury tool that @w_r_ranch has it looks like a good trial / starter tool. Depending on how much we use this and how long it lasts we may step up later.

I just started a batch of diced peaches. The peaches are from my tree and I hope to put them in granola bars later.