• Join Home Gardening Forum

Office Plants

N

noodle

Hello!

I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions for good pot plants to have in an office environment. It's a tech company so something slightly unusual is fine as long as it doesn't require too much care. The rooms are air conditioned and there are lots of windows but they are very thick (triple glazed).

I was thinking cacti as they don't require much care. I could get some cacti fertilizer to keep them healthy. Most offices in this area have ferns (e.g. maidenhair) so I could go in that direction but I thought I'd see if anyone has any interesting suggestions. I'm looking forward to picking some plants out and decorating the pots!

Thanks!

M

Mr_Yan

Many new low-e type windows have films on them to filter out much of the intensity in the red and blue ends of the spectrum and let the green light pass. This looks good to humans but will starve the plants.

If you take plants into an office, or behind other new windows, you may need to rotate them outside weekly

N

noodle

Thanks for the tip! I never knew that about those windows and the color spectrum.

Rotating them outside will be quite a challenge as we are harbor-side and the weather is very harsh directly outside the office. They might be okay just under the front door though as it has a small veranda to reduce some of the strong wind. Maybe I should be looking at pet rocks instead! :ROFLMAO:

O

Oscar Kane

Did you know that office plants can be good for you? It’s true. Not only can plants enhance the overall appearance in the office, but they can also reduce stress and eliminate air pollutants.
Some good beginner plants for the office include: Pothos, Philodendrons & Spider plant

J

JohnLaw

I recommend a fern called Phlebodium aureum ‘Blue Star’. It's very good for the indoor climate :)

T

TonieBenitez

My friend have this one in his office cabin. It really looks nice.