• Join Home Gardening Forum

Mustard greens

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Anyone have a good recipe for mustard greens? Ive never cooked them, but I have a plant ready and need to know where to start.

Onion? Ham? Bacon? Turnips? Lets hear it.....

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Simply wash your mustard greens 3 or 4 times in fresh water, draining them each time. (there's nothing worse than gritty mustard greens) Then strip the leafy part from the stems and throw the stems to the chickens, if you got any.

In a large pot fry down 1 lb. of fat back, thick bacon or ham chunks til brown, then add mustard greens. Stir all this until greens start to wilt. Add 2 cups of water & cook until tender (add more water if necessary). Some people cook mustard greens,collard greens and turnip greens all together in one pot. You can add a spoon of sugar in the water to sweeten the greens. Stir frequently on medium heat so they don't burn & serve.

Mustard greens go well with black-eyed peas, ham & cornbread. Mmmmm!!!

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Pulled the plant and made a pot of greens Friday evening. Pretty much followed WR Ranch's instructions above and it turned out great! I did add some chopped onion and a little bit of sugar. First time cooking greens. Next fall I am planting TWO plants, 'cause I already want some more but only grew one plant.