• Join Home Gardening Forum

Mr_Yan 2015

M

Mr_Yan

Well I've got more but this will mostly be pics and short on text:

Peaches are heavy this year. Maybe a week until ripe on the branch.

I also have a grape vine and small blueberry bush tucked into the back yard. We got about a half cup of blueberries this year - first crop ever.

This is the third year that the vine has produced but I have yet to get a single ripe grape off it. Usually just before the grapes are ripe birds strip them bare. A few days ago I bought bird netting to attempt to prevent this.

I started about 200 seeds for my fall garden.

These are assorted greens and lettuce that were started about two weeks ago.

General yard and garden shots are getting difficult with the trees in the way.

Cucumber in the background climbing from the north end of my large bed

Sun saturated wide shot

Peppers, lettuce going to seed, greens, kid toys

And guys, remember to always support your melons

I spent another $11+ dollars this week on bird netting and potting soil.

So far this year I have harvested and recorded 26.43 kilograms of produce and I have spent $84.35. This means I have spent $1.45 per pound of produce.

Meadowlark

Planting Zone
Very nice. Those peaches are just beautiful.

$1.45 per pound? Never figured it that way...but my garden supplies all of our potatoes, onions, green beans, pinto beans, peas, and peppers for the year and most of our tomatoes. Also, supplies all of our winter veggies like kale, broc, cabbage, radishes, carrots, Brussels, turnips, and beets.

I like to garden for taste...but find the per pound price interesting...until my tiller wears out and has to be replaced...or my tractor engine goes belly up, LOL.

Well done!!

M

Mr_Yan

And so it starts...

The peaches came in. They're still hard but most of the flavor is there. I was starting to get a lot of bird damage and t-storms predicted for the next few days so out came the buckets and ladder...

Now I need to use 10.2 kg of peaches.

I am not a great orchardist so I didn't thin too many from the tree so about half the peaches are small but there are some really nice ones the size of tennis balls in there.

So far this year I have harvested and recorded 38.6 kilograms of produce and I have spent $84.65. This means I have spent $1.00 per pound of produce.

I still need to get up to my community garden and harvest my rutabagas and some beets. Then I hope to get turnips, greens, and more beets back in their place. These are already started in soil cubes.

M

Mr_Yan

Tomatoes starting to ripen, more cucumbers, rutabagas out of the ground.

Gave up on my zucchini as the squash vine borers got it.

Placing soil cubes for the fall garden:
broccoli
turnip
beet
lettuce
mixed greens

So far this year I have harvested and recorded 50.16 kilograms of produce and I have spent $84.65. This means I have spent $0.77 per pound of produce.

Tomorrow I need to harvest some eggplant, beets, greens, and kohl-rabi.

M

Mr_Yan

Just trying to keep up with things now. Beyond the garden...

Anyway tomatoes and cucumbers ripening, green still going, basil looks good, beans starting to form, some fall garden in. Patio about done. Need to reseed the lawn after I finish the patio today.

Thinking about getting some oyster mushroom spawn plugs and growing oyster mushrooms.

So far this year I have harvested and recorded 69.36 kilograms of produce and I have spent $84.65. This means I have spent $0.55 per pound of produce.

M

Mr_Yan

Pulled my sugar pie pumpkins, butternut squash, some carrots and more beets along with general grocery harvesting.

Wish there were about 8 more hours in each day.

So far this year I have harvested and recorded 96.73 kilograms of produce and I have spent $84.65. This means I have spent $0.40 per pound of produce.

M

Mr_Yan

A few more points I've learned this year:

The soil in some of my containers needs help - grow more compost.

The multi-colour carrots are cool looking but the scarlet nantes preform much better.

Plant the 4' wide raised bed in large blocks or rows on the long axis. Rows on the short 4' axis are really hard to work.

Use pruning shears or loppers to harvest squash. I buried my knife blade in the soil twice and another squash once when picking butternuts - ruined one squash and had to re-sharpen the blade.

Mulch - and use active vermicomposting mulch - shredded leafs are great in containers.

Chop sticks and a cup of soapy water kills slugs well.

M

Mr_Yan

A week ago we got a few nights of hard frost in a row - lows between 28° and 30° F - and the last Sunday of October is just time to clean out the community garden.

I still have about a 14' row of large collard greens to pull and some other misc. stuff around my house but this season is over.

I let two lettuce plants go to seed and collected them. One was a nice green leaf lettuce and one was an oak leaf red lettuce. I have A LOT of seed from that. Call it the volume of a tennis ball worth of lettuce seed. We'll see how that works next season.

As for my harvest we have collected and weighed 144.0 kg from the garden (316.26 pounds for you imperialists) and spent $84.65. That works out to $0.27 a pound for produce from the garden.

I have been running these spreadsheets for three years now and for the total of the three seasons I have spent $341.32 on garden tools, supplies, seeds, and fertilizers. From that I have harvested 853.88 pounds of produce. That works out to $0.40 a pound of garden produce.

The $341 seems high but I have bought some nice tools and trellising equipment with it.