• Join Home Gardening Forum

Liz's Rolled Wheat Bread (1st shot)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I have a friend named Liz that gave me a recipe for 'Rolled Wheat Bread' that her mom used to make & she asked me to give it a shot. This is my first attempt, so I will follow the recipe exactly as it was written... with one exception: I will substitute IDY (instant dry yeast) for the active dry yeast or fresh cake yeast that her mom used & add it at the flour stage.

Depending on how it turns out, I may tweak the recipe in subsequent attempts... The recipe is as follows & I have added a picture at each stage of the process...

Rolled Wheat Bread

Soften 2 pkg yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. In a large bowl put 1 1/2 cups rolled wheat, 3/4 cup molasses, 15 oz. boiling water, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 1/2 T (tablespoon) salt. Mix and cool to luke-warm.

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_1.jpg

Add yeast, 3 beaten eggs and 3 cups white flour. Mix, adding additional flour to make a soft dough. Grease all sides of dough and place in bowl in warm place to rise 1-1 1/2 hours.

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_2.jpg

Knead dough down. Divide in half. Make into two rolls to fit into bread pans.

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_3.jpg

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_4.jpg

Let rise again. Bake 350 till well done.

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_5.jpg

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_6.jpg

This bread does take longer than most to get done in the center. I ended up baking it for a total of 40 minutes (30 minutes in the pans & 10 minutes on the stone).

Rolled_Wheat_Bread_7.jpg

Wish you lived closer Liz, I'd like your opinion on whether it tastes like you remember...

I didn't have any issues with the recipe as written & it performed as expected, so you should achieve the same results.

S

Susan

This bread looks really good. I have never attempt make bread before. I always just buy it at the local bakery. However, after reading over this recipe and seeing the result I am tempted to give it a try. Is it a heavy bread?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Medium... The rolled wheat in it make for a hearty sandwich.

There are a number of bread recipes here, if you like bread. We don't buy bread at all, it's easy to make & there's nothing like fresh bread.