• Join Home Gardening Forum

Jerky time again!!!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Last week, Mrs Ranch told me it was time for me to get the remaining venison jerky done because she needs room in the freezers. Being a obedient husband, I fired up the smoker & did a total of 4 batches... somewhere between 165-180 pounds at the start.

Jerky is very simple to do, it smokes at 145 degees for 3 hours then flip... do another 1.5 hours at the same temp & then finish at 175 for the last hour. Good to go!!!

I also found time to pick a dozen good-sized japs for that night's meal. We both love bacon wrapped, stuffed japs right off the smoker (of course I did have to sample one for QC purposes)!!!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Almost_Showtime.jpg

Gauge_145.jpg

Jerky1.jpg

Jerky2.jpg

Jerky3.jpg

Jerky4.jpg

Stuffed_Japs.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I should tell you that when I process my venison for jerky that I take the time to separate the individual muscles on the hams & shoulders and slice them 3/16" - 1/4" thick, then cut those into strips. For seasoning I pretty much just use Fiesta Brand Jerky Seasoning and add additional crushed pepper. After that, I then vacuum pack & freeze it until I'm ready to smoke it.

Also, after smoking it, I leave it out for a day or two on the kitchen counter to allow any remaining moisture to dissipate & then the wife vacuum packs the finished produce it in various weights prior to refreezing it and distributing it to our friends.

S

Slowngreen

Holy cow! Thats alot of jerky, Im watering at the mouth now, thanks alot ha ha.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Ok you did it... where so I need to send money to for some jerky? :D

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thank all!!! Mike if the post office wasn't so slow/unreliable, I'd send you some. Wait until you see what I can to to a backstrap come hunting season... Here is one that is simply seasoned & then rolled in cracked pepper then lightly smoked:

Venison_Backstrap.jpg

I also have a special recipe that I only do at Christmas & unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that one.

S

Slowngreen

Man that looks so good too. I need to get a smoker. Ive never smoked meat but Ive driven past peoples houses who were and the smell was so good I almost wrecked. :jawdrop:

R

Rolex

Uhhh, Mike, could you bar this guy from posting pics? I'm a grown man, dribbling on my keyboard.
Wow, I can almost smell it, it looks so good.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks everyone! Wait until you see the pork shoulders (aka Boston Butts)... EVERYBODY loves pulled pork sandwiches!!!

B

BigCountry

When we run out of deer meat i like to buy the London Broil from the local grocery store and make up a bunch, although its not as good as deer, it curbs the jerky cravings until i get the freezer stocked with deer.

S

Slowngreen

Not sure anything curbs my jerky cravings, not even jerky lol. Post up your London broil jerky if you make any BC.

E

ErnieCopp

I did a lot of a big game hunting until about forty years ago, and anything older than a forked horn or three pointer i would just cube, and use for Chile Colorado. I have never found any beef that will make Chile Colorado that good. I have made a little jerky, both in the oven and the dehydrator, but it was not as good, nor as much fun, as yours sounds like.

Not sure why this text is so small. I hope it enlarges when it is posted.
Ernie

B

BigCountry

Nothing beats a good chile colorado.I love the stuff, but it hates me!!!:p i havent been able to find a good recipe.....post it up!! :)

hopefully will pick some up soon and make some up, post some pictures along with my so called "recipe".....:D

E

ErnieCopp

I was not cooking back in those days, so my wife would make it, but basically she would brown the venison cubes in flour and then simmer them in canned mild Enchilada sauce. Serve with flour tortillas, grated cheese, chopped onions and and refried beans. Fresh Cilantro was not available back then, but i would add it now.