• Join Home Gardening Forum

Jalapeno Brisket

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
My neighbor used to make these and I talked him out of the recipe. My wife won't let me cook a regular one anymore..
Ingredients:
  • 12-14 lb brisket
  • 6 to 8 fresh jalapenos
  • One can pickled Jalapenos with juice retained (I like to use homemade if I have them but the canned ones are fine)
  • Minced garlic
  • One large onion
  • Salt / Pepper / Accent (optional) / garlic powder / onion powder

BASTING SAUCE
  • One beer (I prefer lighter beer but any beer is fine)
  • One jar of italian dressing (I know - just trust me)
  • One pint BBQ sauce ( I make my own but just use what you like)
  • 2 fresh jalapenos and I always throw in 1/2 a cup or so of pickled slices
  • Drippings from the brisket after it cooks in the foil

I'll follow this up with pics so it makes sense.,.

1. Cut slits in the brisket across the grain (not all the way through and not all the way across.)
  2. Stuff the slits with fresh Jalapeno slices / pickled jalapeno slices / onions and minced garlic
  3. Season with salt/ pepper / garlic / onion powder / accent (MSG)
  4. Place the brisket on 2 layers of heavy duty foil and cover with two additional layers of foil
  5. Fold the edges tightly to create a "pillow" leaving one end open
  6. Into the open end - pour in the retained jalapeno juice (should be 1/2 a pint or so) and I always add a touch of homemade bbq sauce (probably 1/2 a cup).
  7. Roll up the remaining end so that the package is air tight and place on a 350 degree grill for 2 hours.
  8. After 2 hours, remove the brisket from the foil and pour the juice from the packet into the Basting Sauce
  9. Place the brisket back on the grill and pour the smoke to it (I prefer red oak)
  10. Baste the brisket every 30 minutes so that it remains fairly wet - the slits you cut will do a good job of holding the basting sauce.
  11. Brisket is done (gets really technical here..) when you poke it and it doesn't wiggle any longer (usually takes me 4 to 5 hours)
  12. I always let it rest just a bit before slicing and if you have any basting sauce left it can be poured over the sliced meat for an extra kick - not necessary though.
  13. Eat and enjoy!IMG_3715.jpg IMG_3716.jpg IMG_3717.jpg IMG_3718.jpg IMG_3719.jpg IMG_3721.jpg IMG_3727.jpg IMG_3728.jpg IMG_3729.jpg

Last edited: