• Join Home Gardening Forum

Icebox Pickles

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Dead simple to make... The recipe will fill 4 pints or 2 quart jars.

Place the whole cukes in cold salted water to wash and kill germs or other critters and to get the dust off. The water should taste like seawater or more salty. Fifteen minutes is recommended. Rinse the salt water off the cukes.

Place the following in a pan, bring to a boil, and then simmer covered.

3 cups 5 percent white vinegar
1 cup bottled water
3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon of pickling salt, DO NOT substitute table salt or Kosher salt

After sterilizing your jars, remove a jar from the simmering (but not boiling) water with tongs and begin to fill with the cucumber spears.

Add a couple of pieces of small peeled carrots if you like, a slice of onion, a teaspoon of peppercorns, and 1 or 2 large cloves of sliced garlic interspersed with the spears. Pack them in tight. Pour the boiling liquid over the cucumber spears to within ¼ inch of the top of the jar. Place a sterilized lid and ring over the top and screw down tight. Invert the jar for a few minutes, then turn right side up.

Allow to cool. Check that each lid has sealed by pressing down on the lid. It should not give or pop. Store in the refrigerator. They are ready in 10 days. Enjoy!!!

Icebox_Pickles.jpg

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I don't know to be honest with you... I too try to stay away from salt as much as possible. I've heard that fresh-pack pickles may be prepared safely with reduced or no salt, however I have never tried it myself.

I do that salt is added to 'regular' pickles aid in preventing spoilage by encouraging lactic acid bacteria (which is a good bacteria).

S

Slowngreen

Ok. I have pickling spice already, might half and half it? I use pickling spice like crazy in pickled eggs, maybe it will work out the same.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
One tablespoon of salt is not much salt for two quarts of pickles. I know this for sure, pickles taste horrible if you leave out the salt, I've done that and found out the hard way.:)