Waite

Ok, here it is.

20 lbs. Pork butt. No rind or hard fat, just the soft fat
5 lbs. Chuck
3 oz. Black pepper
3 oz. Paprika. I use smoked when I have it
6 oz. Salt
10 cloves of garlic, cooked.

You definitely want to cook the garlic as it changes the flavor. Mince or put through a press. In a small skillet or sautee pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil on medium and sautee the garlic until translucent.

Prep the meat for the grinder. In a large bowl toss the meat with the seasonings and garlic/oil. Grind with the coarse plate. Make sure everything is thoroughly mixed, then cover and place in fridge overnight to allow the flavors to marry.

Next day, put mixture through grinder with fine plate. If you're using a nitrate cure add it now, then stuff into casings. Link or not.

Dry sausage thoroughly before smoking. I dry mine in the smoker for a good hour or so at about 100°. Add smoke and bring smoker to 200-220, smoke until internal temperature is 165°, no more! Remove from smoker and plunge into ice water. Allow to cool, package.

W

Waite

What he said. I really like the ingredients in weight instead of by measure. I put a small bowl on a scale, tare, add 3 oz., tare, add 3 oz., tare, etc. If you practice mise en place it makes life easy. Also, there's no guessing or adjust for coarse salt, coarse pepper, etc. as an ounce is an ounce.

FWIW, I didn't convert, it, this is how it was given to me. The only modification is the smoked paprika, but it's excellent either way.

W

Waite

One thing of note: Be aware that if you don't use cure, it will taste different. The pink salt or Cure #1 sold ay many places (I get mine at LEM) is not required if you intend to smoke, but it adds flavor so I use it anyway. The same recipe with and without taste quite a bit different.