• Join Home Gardening Forum

How to make homemade pesticide for your garden

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
tomato plant leaves eaten.jpg

If you're like me you probably don't like using harsh pesticides and other chemicals in your vegetable garden, for me that's a big reason why I'm growing my own food to begin with. While I could certainly try to entice "good" insects into my garden such as ladybugs, lacewings, and crab spiders. I figured I'd be just as well off trying to combat the pests on my own. After a little research I came across several homemade pesticides and found a recipe that seems to be working great. Made from onions, peppers, garlic and dish soap I figured this would work great.

Things you'll need:
  • One gallon container, such as a milk jug
  • Spray bottle
  • 2 Large pots (must hold one gallon or more)
  • Strainer
  • Kitchen towel
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon dish soap
  • Funnel (makes it easier pouring the mix into your spray bottle)
Directions:
  1. Fill your one gallon container with water and empty into your large pot. Turn the stove up to high and bring the water to a boil.
  2. Place the onion, jalapeno pepper, clove of garlic all into a food processor and bring the vegetables to a puree mixture.
  3. Pour the vegetable puree mixture into the large pot and let sit for 20 minutes.
  4. Using the strainer and kitchen towel laid over the strainer (to catch the blended veggies), empty the boiling water into your second pot.
  5. Once strained, empty the water back into your first gallon container (milk jug) and add 1 tablespoon of dish soap, Dawn works great, and shake to mix well.
  6. Carefully pour the final mixture into a spray bottle. The rest can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Then go spray your plants thoroughly including stems and underneath their leaves. Continue to use the spray every few days. Keep in mind this will NOT kill the pests, it will just simply make the plants taste extremely bad which will either make them starve or move on, either way your plants will be healthy.

healthy tomato leaf.jpg

Do you use any homemade or commercial pesticides in your garden?

T

the1honeycomb

what kind of insect is tearing up your tomatoes in the first photo?

\