• Join Home Gardening Forum

How to get rid of Grub worms

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
I have grub worms in my 2 raised beds. What can I do to get rid of them? Obviously it has to be safe to apply to a veggie garden. I am planting my taters this week, and then planting more stuff early March, so I need something to get rid of the grubs, but also allow me to plant shortly after applying.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Sevin Dust or Sevin Granules will take care of them. I saw a large bag of Sevin Granules at Sams today, but I don't remember the price.

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
For grubs, use a granular insecticide made from imidacloprid, thiamethoxam or carbaryl (Sevin) & water it in well after applying. Just follow the directions on the bag.

You will want to treat the garden again in June as that is when the June bugs will start laying their eggs for next year... You need to try & break their life-cycle.

45 ACP

Planting Zone
8B
Ok I'll look for some SEVIN granules.

I stated in my original post that I am planting in a couple weeks. I assume since yall suggested it, that SEVIN is safe to apply a couple weeks prior to planting?

Also putting my potatoes in the ground this evening. No issues with that and the SEVIN either?

Thanks

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I will say, I see very few grub worms. I just pick them out with a hand spade and squish them. I am seeing LOTS of earth worms and I'm really thrilled when I find a red one. Since I till and do everything else by hand, I seem to see everything through a very closeup view.

Also, I have a bag of leaf mold I purchased last year, but never used it. I am seeing some green, mold looking stuff through the clear bag on one side. Is this good or bad stuff? Should I risk adding it into my soil this year?