• Join Home Gardening Forum

How many here like Picante Sauce???

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This is a big hit in our lil' town (folks are always asking if I would make them a batch for their personal use), LOL!!! In fact, I got another triple batch going right now!!!

1 Roaster pan of tomatoes
6 Onions, chopped
6 Bell peppers, chopped
10 Jalapenos (with seeds), chopped
2 Tablespoon sugar (or Splenda)
1 1/2 Teaspoon canning salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon cumin
1 Bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 Cup white vinegar
1/2 Cup fresh squeezed lime juice

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds. Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down (depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan). Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle. Let cool and remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point). Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot. Lightly puree tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Mix all the remaining ingredients (except the cilantro & lime juice) together and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down & simmer for 2 hours, stirring often. Right before canning, add the chopped cilantro & the lime juice.

After putting the sauce into sanitized jars, give them a 15 minute bath in boiling water, then remove & allow them to cool undisturbed overnight. Check the seals & store in a cool, dry area.

This recipe makes 7 pints & can be doubled or tripled without any problem. Enjoy it with your favorite corn chips or served over rice or Melonessa de Pollo or both!!!

Tomatoes_061313_1.jpg

Roasted_Picante_Sauce_1.jpg

Roasted_Picante_Sauce_2.jpg

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I have wondered what the "Active Member" on your avatar meant, but with all the cooking and wall building you do, I understand the "Active" part now.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I do try to stay busy. If a person thinks that they can sit back & do nothing, they will get sick & die... I've seen it happen too many times. I have a number of friends that are still kick'in (well into their 90's) because they stay active gardening & working their own cattle. Salt of the earth, each & every one of them!

Texasgirl44

Planting Zone
8B
Still got plenty of tomatoes in the freezer ~ Going to have to try your recipe. The last time we canned picante sauce it came out a little too sweet.

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I love picante sauce and that looks delicious!