• Join Home Gardening Forum

hot wires for deer and other wildlife

S

sur3fir3

I have a friend who donated a electric fence controller to me that is rated for up to 5 miles. It is a couple years old, and is from tractor supply. I believe its rated for about .7 joules. I have hear reports of putting hot wire at 8 inches for the rabbits and etc and then 18-22" for the deer. Do you guys think this controller is powerful enough to deter deer? It will be on a 100x150 plot.

My other question comes from setup and take down. the setup and take down of this fencing must be relatively easy to do, as I am doing this on my own right now. Ive thought of using pvc or tobacco sticks as I have quite a bit of them already. If I use wood or plastic posts, I won't need insulators right? I can just drill a lip in the pvc and thread the wire through them.

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
The only thing that will keep deer out of your garden is an 8' deer fence. Trust me on that one...

E

ErnieCopp

Sam is right. I installed 8' New Zealand type Wire strand fence, with a tremendously powerful Charger, and it worked okay for about 15 years, but the current owner finally took it out and replaced it with mesh type deer fence. He says it is better. Green weeds, branches, etc., will short out electric fences and insulators are nearly always used. And any deer fence should be 8' tall.

S

sur3fir3

I looked at the deer fence, and the cost associated... it looks like I might have to contact some people about working on this plot together, I have alot to think about. Thanks for the advice.

E

ErnieCopp

Deer damage is very frustrating and very expensive. I hope you find a way to solve your problem.

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Yes it is... About $10/ft. installed. And unless them suckers can pole vault, they aren't getting in... LOL!!!

B

Bradeen

Well done guys i am really impressed by your thinking about the topic keep this process up..

S

sur3fir3

Well I spoke to 4 people today that I trust, told them about the plot and what I plan on doing. 3 of them were interested in sharing the cost, to be able to share in the harvest. Between us 3 we have everything needed hardware wise, just need to do the fencing. I am only one person and I know how hard fencing is to put up. By yourself its next to impossible and I cannot hire anyone, This is my next best bet. Looks like I will be taking down everything this week and then laying down some black plastic to kill off everything, and I will just follow up with roundup.

M

Martin_1

I think u need to concern with the expert of this field who had good exprience in this field or getting the services of a company is more better option for you.