• Join Home Gardening Forum

Help with my basil

V

Violasandviolas

It looks like damping off but that doesn't make sense because it germinated months ago and was just fine until yesterday. I haven't watered or fertilized in a while because the soil was still damp because its in the garage and its a little chilly in here but it has an LED grow light so its good on light and its within the window of the garage door so when the sun is right it gets natural light too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Waite

Looks it. Does the stem appear to be pinched just around the soil line?

V

Violasandviolas

Looks it. Does the stem appear to be pinched just around the soil line?

It is pinched and twisted and brown about a centimeter maybe two thirds of a centimeter above the soil line.

W

Waite

Sounds like it. I lost 5 plants, see my thread. All were after they were transplanted. It's fungus, so it's been working at it for a while.

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Don't start growing basil until temps allow it. Also, plants that size don't require nor want fertilizer if you have decent soil. Looks like it damped off due to cool temps. Start over with a fresh plant in the sun when the time is right.

W

Waite

Don't start growing basil until temps allow it. Also, plants that size don't require nor want fertilizer if you have decent soil. Looks like it damped off due to cool temps. Start over with a fresh plant in the sun when the time is right.

Good advice, but you have to consider area. He's in Montana, and although he doesn't post his zone, Montana doesn't get above a 5 and goes down to a 2. He may not get to a point where he has steady warm weather. In my area our last frost is about the third week of April with Mother's Day being my target week. I started 6 basil indoors and moved them all outside the week before Mothers Day, and they're fine. This year it's been extremely wet with a lot more clouds than normal. I started over 70 plants inside, All have been moved outside, and I lost 5.

Damping off can be caused by 3 fungi, and while temp plays a part, air flow like from a small fan, not overwatering, and sun all make a big difference too.

Violas, please add your grow zone and location to your profile. Most advice is location oriented. What works for Michigan may not work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Violasandviolas

Oh yes sorry I forgot to add I am in zone 4b. I did not think it relevant since it is inside away from the cold and the weather has been warm lately. That plant completely died but I noticed some fungus growing on my other and the base of the stem starting to rot. I haven't watered any of the ones in that location in a while but I will have to ask the people living with me if they have as they are really moist. I sprayed a little bit of this fertilizer/insecticide/fungicide I have because it wad the only insecticide and only fungicide I could find in the stores near here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk