• Join Home Gardening Forum

Habanero Salsa

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I've had this recipe for a while and plan on making it with some home grown peppers and thought I'd share.

Image.jpg

Servings: makes 2 cups

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
  • 2 cups tomatoes, diced or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 habanero chilies, chopped
  • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 lime, juice

Directions
  • Heat the oil in a pan.
  • Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  • Add the garlic and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  • Add the tomatoes and chilies, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens about 10-20 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, puree in food processor if desired, stir in the cilantro and hit it with a squeeze of lime juice.

M

majorcatfish

love a good salsa but as i have got older the desire for extremely hot food has passed, got tried of replacing the toilet paper holder.
might try it with a 1/4 habanero...
for you younger people who like to live on the dangerous side might want to try a carolina reaper pepper.
on the scoville rating...
Red Savina habanero tops out at 580,000
Carolina Reaper tops out at 2,200.000... world hottest pepper

think i will stay with serranos 25,000

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
@majorcatfish - I've actually planted serrano's this year! I have used them the last several times when cooking my chili and they give it a GREAT taste. Looking forward to growing and using my own this year!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
We do a fresh salsa like we had in our numerous trips to Mexico. Nothing but finely diced red onions & peppers (90/10) with the juice of a few limes. It's really addictive on tortilla chips.

Salsa.jpg

Last edited:
M

majorcatfish

@majorcatfish - I've actually planted serrano's this year! I have used them the last several times when cooking my chili and they give it a GREAT taste. Looking forward to growing and using my own this year!

serrano plants are a very prolific producer and yes they taste great in about everything....

E

ErnieCopp

Sam,
I have a truck load of Sweet red and white onions, but i cannot handle the habenero peppers. What is the name or variety of a mild hot pepper? Something that would make a Salsa about as hot as served in Chain Mexican Restaurants?

Ernie

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Jalapenos are what the use in most salsas. Japs are anywhere from very low heat to hot & there is really no way to tell... I recommend that you just remove the seeds & the adjoining white membrane (that's where the 'heat' is concentrated) when you make it.

Maybe you would prefer a fresh 'Pico De Gallo' instead... If so, I'll post it.

Fresh_Pico.jpg

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
A Pico De Gallo recipe would be great. What's the best way to "smoke/roast" peppers and tomatoes?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
A Pico De Gallo recipe would be great.

Here you go Rahab: Pico de Gallo

What's the best way to "smoke/roast" peppers and tomatoes?

In a smoker or an oven... 350 degrees for 90 minutes.

Last edited:

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Wow! Those look GREAT! What kind of seasoning is sprinkled on them? I'm also going to make your Pico de Gallo as soon as I harvest some tomatoes - looks simple enough.