• Join Home Gardening Forum

GTO Sauce (a variation of the roasted spaghetti sauce recipe)

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
This is a variation of the roasted spaghetti sauce recipe. I call it 'GTO sauce' as it contains green peppers, tomatoes & onions. It is especially good when served with Italian sausages served on hoagies!!!

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds.

Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down. For each layer, spritz with a decent quality olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste), 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons thyme, (you may substitute Italian herb seasoning), and 1 cup of chopped onions. Depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle

Let them cool a little, then remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point. Put the tomato meat into an 15 quart pot.

While you're waiting for the tomatoes to cool, In another roasting pan, roast a full pan of sliced onions and sliced green peppers until they are slightly 'blackened' or caramelized & set them aside to cool a little.

Crush tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Combined the tomatoes & the green pepper/onions, season to suit your taste and then can as you normally would. Enjoy!!!

Yields about 10 quarts.

GTO_Sauce_1.jpg

GTO_Sauce_2.jpg

GTO_Sauce_3.jpg

GTO_Sauce_4.jpg

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
Mr. Ranch, that sauce could be pour over a piece of cardboard and it would taste good. (y)(y)(y) If I have a fall tomato crop, every one is going to be used to make this sauce. Thanks for the recipe.

Ibtsoom

Planting Zone
9A
Yep - I'm trying this too!
Sam, do you happen to have a Marinara recipe that you can post up? I made your roasted sauce this spring and we're still working through it got probably a half case of quarts left - we all Love it!!

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
Why do you remove the seeds? Do you have to? I bought a corer today. When pressed down on the tomato, it cuts the core out of the tomato and slices the tomato into 8 equal sections. Is this good enough?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I always do ours by hand. Like I said, just cut them in half & remove the seeds with your finger.

You remove the seeds & viscous fluid to cut down on the cooking time... neither add anything to the sauce.

whistech

Planting Zone
9a
I cooked a chuck roast today and use a quart jar of Mr. Ranch's GTO sauce on the roast. I browned the roast in a dutch oven, then dumped in the jar of GTO sauce and put in a 275 degree oven for 5 hours. It is falling apart tender and is the best roast I've ever had and I will be eating on it for the next several days. Everyone needs to make some GTO sauce, you won't be sorry!

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
Thanks whistech!. I currently out of it & will be canning some more myself right after I do the whole tomatoes.