• Join Home Gardening Forum

Growing the area

W

Waite

Being in 6A I'm pretty lucky from a Michigan zone perspective. Because the Great Lakes do so much toward moderating our temperatures some of us get a little longer season. Still, it's short by comparison when you consider most points south. Where some of you are planting and prepping, many of us are still facing snow, frozen ground, and a month or so before starting seeds.

Because of our growing season I look for plants that were developed for the area, or varieties that while not specifically developed for here have been proven producers. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's there were several seed companies around SE MI. The most famous is probably D.M. Ferry, now part of Ferry-Morse. Of course back then the world was a bigger place and pretty much everything was handled locally.

Some of the seeds I've grown are Chicago Pickling Cucumbers, Wisconsin Lakes Sweet Peppers, and Beaver Dam Hot Peppers (great for traditional paprika!). One of my favorites is the Early Detroit tomato. This is one of the tastiest tomatoes I've had, and are pretty crack and disease resistant for an heirloom.

This year (seems like I've planted it before, but it would've been long ago) I'll try the Early Fortune Cucumber, which originated in Royal Oak MI. Seems like there was also a pickling cucumber from the area, and I recently ran across a more recent one called Michigan Wonder, a bell pepper descended from the California Wonder, but a bit smaller and needing a shorter season.

What do you grow specifically for your area?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
What do you grow specifically for your area?

Absolutely. Many plants are unable to survive, let alone flourish with our heat (it's not unusual to have temperatures in the 90s in May).

For example, the 'HeatMaster' tomato was specifically developed for hot & humid tropical climates (zones 8-11). It will still set fruit at 95 degrees...

W

Waite

I spent a couple of years in Dallas in a previous (younger) life. Not as hot as your area, but hot enough! This was in my pre-gardneing days.

M

Mr_Yan

Don't forget Grand Rapids lettuce. A common "heirloom" and one of the shortest growing season lettuces I've found. I guess at one time Grand Rapids was a major lettuce supplier for the region.

I'll have to look around for Michigan Wonder pepper. My wife is from SE MI and I grew up in NW-lower MI.

W

Waite

Saw them here, a new arrival. I still have some Wisconsin Lakes left from last season so will use those first. Probably won't get around to the Michigan Wonder until next year.

https://natureandnurtureseeds.com