• Join Home Gardening Forum

Ground cover for garden

W

Whistler

I'm not sure if I want to get a few buckets and plant tomatoes, potatoes and beans or just dig up some dirt in the ground and plant them there.

If I plant in the ground is there any ground cover I should use to keep waters in, protect the dirt, etc or just leave it bear?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
I always mulch in April, after everything is up. If you leave it bare, weeds will fill the void for sure. The mulch will smother them & improve your soil texture as it decomposes.

I also need to get those buckets to you like I promised... We've both has been sick on or off this winter or we've been busy trying to get caught up. I'll try to contact you soon.

W

Whistler

Mulch?

Just like regular black mulch I see businesses put around their trees and bushes?

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Straw also works pretty well, pine bark mulch (not nuggets) and even the black fabric you can use to prevent weeds. Though the black fabric doesn't do much to keep the moisture in.

If you go the container route - one thing I've done before was cover the bucket with plastic and cut a slit in the top so the plant can peek through. This will help keep moisture in as well.