• Join Home Gardening Forum

greenhouse tomato slection

W

woodsplitter67

Hello to all, Iv been doing some reading but still cant figure out, what are the recommended varieties of tomatoes to grow in my Greenhouse. im looking for a fruit the size of a better boy i also like roma and cherry.. thanks for your input

M

Mr_Yan

Welcome splinter67...

Anyway what do you want in a tomato flavor? Do you want a lot of tomatoes at once (sauce making) or fewer at a time but more spread over the entire season (fresh eating)? How big is your green house?

Look to the size of your greenhouse and how you can train them up wires or cords.

I like the deep flavor of the old purple and black tomatoes which also tend to be large indeterminate plant monsters. Cherokee Purple (big fruit 5-7" diameter), Black Krim (medium fruit 3-4" diameter), Chocolate Cherry (1" diameter fruit). And I like the tiny sweet grape type like Super Sweet 100s or Juliet. For roma(ish) Amish Paste or Wisconsin 55 worked very well but were both long adapted to southern Wisconsin / northern Illinois where I lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

woodsplitter67

Welcome splinter67...

Anyway what do you want in a tomato flavor? Do you want a lot of tomatoes at once (sauce making) or fewer at a time but more spread over the entire season (fresh eating)? How big is your green house?

Look to the size of your greenhouse and how you can train them up wires or cords.

I like the deep flavor of the old purple and black tomatoes which also tend to be large indeterminate plant monsters. Cherokee Purple (big fruit 5-7" diameter), Black Krim (medium fruit 3-4" diameter), Chocolate Cherry (1" diameter fruit). And I like the tiny sweet grape type like Super Sweet 100s or Juliet. For roma(ish) Amish Paste or Wisconsin 55 worked very well but were both long adapted to southern Wisconsin / northern Illinois where I lived.

I am putting in a variety. I like a roma as my wife will make salsa or can them we also like Cherry variety to put in salads and a larger tomato for sandwiches. Amazon has some seeds but id like to know where else to grab some also. im going to start ordering soon to start my garden plants and also want to grab the seeds for my greenhouse

M

Mr_Yan

Good choice with doing a variety. I did that for a few years and settled down on the few that I liked and did well for me. Label things carefully and keep the labels with the plants. There's little point in doing a variety if you don't learn what did well and what didn't. Paint stir sticks with crayon works well as a label steak.

My two go-to places for seeds online are:
Johnny's Selected Seeds - big national player based in Maine
Botanical Interests - based in Colorado

I also really like the old school garden store / feed store that we have locally.

Other places I know of are:
Territorial seeds
High Mowing seeds

There is also Seed Saver's Exchange based in Iowa which is a group / non-profit that is "trying to save all the old plant varieties". They have some cool stuff but they also tend to be very full of themselves and expensive for a tiny packet of seeds.

Nothing wrong with grabbing an interesting looking variety from the seed rack at the local hardware store, farm and fleet, or big box place.

W

woodsplitter67

iv grown some in the greenhouse but the results have been just ok.. im looking good stuff thats for indorrs that has good disease resistance as I do not like to spray a lot. some of the stuff thats been recommended online either I cannot find or I find an it's kind of pricey