• Join Home Gardening Forum

Grass for Shady Lawns

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
I planted this variety of St. Augustine about 10 years ago. We have a shady back yard, some spots get very little sun at all. The variety is Del Mar and it will tolerate shady spots better than most varieties of St Augustine.

It can be a little tricky to take care of. It doesn't spread or recover near as fast as most other varieties, and is susceptible to both chinch bugs and brown patch. It has a lime/blue green in the spring/early summer that is very cool to look at.

If you have a shady spot, you might give it a try.

grass.jpg

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
I'll keep this in mind as the wife and I was just talking a couple days ago about needing to get grass seed for the back yard. Most of it is very much all shade and add two dogs it's hard to keep grass in some patches.

E

ErnieCopp

I have heard St. Augustine is very good for hot climates, but in a more moderate climate Tall Fescue is doing a wonderful job for me here. I never heard of using it for lawn until i moved here. It struggled a little bit during the hottest part of the summer but as soon as it cooled off a bit it just took off again, and probably the best lawn grass i have ever had.

Ernie

Mike

Might know the answer
Planting Zone
6b
Ernie thanks for the tidbit of info. Kentucky certainly wouldn't be considered a hot climate though I didn't realize tall fescue would be a good shade grass. I was planning on making a trip to Southern States and seeing what they had in stock too.

E

ErnieCopp

Mike, You can find out what is best by going to a Landscaper Supply and find out what local landscapers are using for your local area.

Ernie

O

Oscar Kane

Thanks for information.
Grass doesn't like shade. If you have a lot of shade trees or other low light conditions in your yard, you're never going to have a lawn. Even light shade reduces the plant’s vigor. Roots, rhizomes, stolons and shoots are all affected. So what’s a homeowner to do? Can you find grass seed for shade?

wolffman

Sponsor
Plus Member
Planting Zone
Oscar, I realize that most grass doesn't like shade. The premise of my post was growing grass in shady areas of a yard, and I recommended a variety that does well in shade. Yes, it is possible to grow grass in shady areas, it just requires more effort.

M

Mr_Yan

I'm fighting with grass in a partial shade area and high kid traffic. Just spread 6 pounds of the "Sun and Shade" blend from Farm and Fleet. Did I mention I hate grass.

Figured this week was the time to spread the seed. The hot weather broke Monday into Tuesday and we were forecasted to get rain this week (accurate forecast so far). We're also about 6 weeks from traditional first hard frost