• Join Home Gardening Forum

Getting rich or getting poor in the bird seed business

E

ErnieCopp

We usually buy black oil seed for birds at Walmart, in forty pound bags, but Walmart did not have any for a while.

There is a feed store in Escondido where i buy Milo for the other bird feeder. So i went over there a couple of weeks ago, ordered 3 bags of oil seed, without asking the price, assuming it would be close.

But he volunteered it was $37.00 for forty pounds, so , as that sounded hight to me, i only took one sack.

Then we were in Walmart, and they had gotten some in, $17.00 fro forty pounds.

So i wonder who will make the most money. The guy that sells it for $17.00, or the guy that does not make the sale for $37.00?

Ernie

M

Mr_Yan

I want to re-write this as:
We usually buy mouse bait and feed at Walmart, in forty pound bags, but Walmart did not have any for a while.

There is a feed store in Escondido where i buy mouse feed for the other bird feeder. So i went over there a couple of weeks ago, ordered 3 bags of mouse feed, without asking the price, assuming it would be close.

I had to move all the dog kibble and bird seed into sealed mouse resistant 5 gallon buckets. The part of the kibble bag that didn't fit in the bucket hangs from the basement ceiling (floor joist) with para-cord.

Rahab222

Planting Zone
9B
I store my bird feed in a metal garbage can with a lid. I used to use the 5-gallon plastic buckets until a rat ate through the side. And Ernie, feed stores and WalMart are high dollar on their bird feed. I get 40 lb. bags at HEB (grocery store) for $9.97 each. It's the song bird mix with a variety of things - sunflower seeds, corn, grains, etc. I have to go to Pet Smart for peanuts that I reserve for my cardinals and blue jays. but believe me, the squirrels get their share of peanuts.