• Join Home Gardening Forum

General toasting bread - everyday bread

M

Mr_Yan

This is the loaf I've been working on for a year or two - to make clean up easy I add everything directly into my KitchenAide mixer bowl on a digital scale and measure by weight.

610 grams warm water
53 grams oil
30 grams sugar / brown sugar / molasses / honey
9 grams salt
9 grams active dry yeast
1000 grams flour (I blend whole wheat and high gluten flours using anywhere from 100 to 300 grams whole wheat)

Mix until homogeneous on lowest speed then move to the next higher speed for 90 to 120 seconds to knead.

Move to a greased bowl and cover to bulk ferment for about 20 minutes.

Fold the dough - place on a floured work surface de-gas and pull each of the four "sides" out and fold back onto the dough mass to the 2/3 point. Do this to each of the four sides in turn. This seems like a lot of action but really adds structural strength to the dough.

Let rise for 15 more minutes in a greased bowl.

Divide and shape for two loafs.

Let rise in the pans until just proud of the pan sides.

Bake 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Time based on my use of aluminum loaf pans

M

Mr_Yan

We tweaked this recipe, well it's a live recipe and has yet to settle down. We currently make it this way:

for one large loaf pan

500 grams warm water
30 to 50 grams sugar / brown sugar / molasses / honey
1/2 t (about) grams salt
1 t (about) active dry yeast
750 grams flour (I blend whole wheat and high gluten flours using anywhere up to about a third whole wheat flour)

Mix until homogeneous on lowest speed then move to the next higher speed for 4 minutes 44 seconds to knead - yes I time it.

Move to a greased bowl and cover to bulk ferment for about 14 minutes 44 seconds.

Fold the dough - place on a floured work surface de-gas and pull each of the four "sides" out and fold back onto the dough mass to the 2/3 point. Do this to each of the four sides in turn. This seems like a lot of action but really adds structural strength to the dough.

Shape into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan.

Let rise in the pans until proud of the pan sides by about 10 mm.

Bake 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes. Time based on my use of aluminum loaf pans