• Join Home Gardening Forum

Flowers to Keep Pests Away

D

dashboardc33

Is there a type of flowers that keep the pests away and out of the vegetable garden? My neighbor has a bunch of marigolds planted around his garden, and I'm not sure if they are to keep the animals out of it or if they are for the appearance. Have you heard of any flowers that keep the animals away?

w_r_ranch

Master Gardener
Administrator
Plus Member
Planting Zone
8b
French marigolds keep many bugs away, although they're mainly used to repel nematodes. I use them every year in my garden.

M

Mr_Yan

As WR and your neighbor point you to French marigolds will but to repel a lot of the above ground pests you need a lot of marigolds. This year I planted a marigold at both ends of each row. Not enough to repel pests but worked well to let me know where my rows are seeded.

Several other plants will repel specific types of insects or attract predatory and beneficial insects.

Reasonably strong evidence exists that both lemon scents and basil will repel some mosquitoes. Think lemon grass here.

Asters are supposed to attract several types of wasps that then also prey on caterpillars or other pests.

T

tinception

I have marigolds in my garden too. I find it helps with keeping the pests away from my other plants. I also put my mint and basil on the outside perimeter to repel the pests.